quest boards(quests differently) and caravans.

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Reamagorn

quest boards(quests differently) and caravans.

Post by Reamagorn » 26 Oct 2013, 20:16

we all know that in the majority of MMORPGs quests are maybe the most important thing, i personally hate that and really like the system of this game where the most of the world is shaped by players. BUT i don't think that quests need to be totally discarded. my idea is that one can place 2 quest boards in the city (or they appear automatically). the quests however would be posted by players only (1st board). quests could be such as finding needed materials or helping with building if the "quest giver" doesn't have the will or time, but has much money on the other hand. or much harder ones, like being a body guard for someone passing a dangerous place with no wish to be looted or guarding caravans going to their destination (i'll tell why on the 3rd paragraph, though i think the reason would be obvious), though these missions would have a chance of failure (then you don't get the payment and of course be looted or whatever attacker does to you) . also the board would have 2 categories:1- Available; 2- in progress. so you could get in line for the quest in case the one who takes it up cancels it.

2nd board would be bounty board, you could get on that one automatically by killing many innocents ( meaning having really bad alignment, because i don't think it's possible to leave its management to players). on this board you could get a list of bounties and those players would somehow be highlighted (not too sure about this one though). if you beat the bounty you could carry (or he could be made to follow you automatically, or by own will somehow) him/her to the nearest bounty board (well if they won't be rescued by fellows if they notice and there are such) and get reward, the criminal would be "executed" : would simply get more penalities + the alignment would rise to better(the bad guy was caught after all) and would be teleported somewhere random(not too far though). and it'd be fair that if bounty is done it can't appear on the board for quite a while (like from 1-3 normal days or so). bounties should depend on alignment and shouldn't be too big since you can repeat it after a few days (just my thought).

the thing about caravans now. i think they'd really boost the game in few aspects. people could become merchants of some kind and the brigands would get more actions as well as being such would pay off(A LOT) if you actually raid the caravan and you weren't wiped off the surface by people guarding it.
caravans would also produce it's own economy of some sort. you'd have to know where to sell what to gain profit, (including caravan guard quests). and people would be able to choose from much bigger variety in markets (if there will be such). also you'd have to buy few horses and get a carriage and merchandise to become a merchant.

also about quest payment systems. i think people would need to insert the quest reward before hand so that when it's completed people would get the promised money at the quest board they took it from. if the quest was to find some ingredients they would arrive to "quest givers" mail (once again if there is such :D ). though guarding quests would differ. you'd be rewarded by mail and could take it from there. (since i think this would be the most reasonable). and the bounty quests completing would be rewarded instantly to your pocket once the criminal is given to the board :) .

maybe there could also be some board near by brigands or thieves territory if you wanted to ruin someone or just do bad without anyone noticing) you'd have to have - alignment to take these and it wouldn't go down if you killed someone on request. quest giver on the other hand would get it, but it couldn't go below some point (1 don't know maybe 0?) I'm not too sure about this one though!!!

Please tell my your opinions, i'd cry tears of joy if this would be some how realized to some extent! :D

thanks for reading and tell me your thoughts!

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Re: quest boards(quests differently) and caravans.

Post by Balariand » 27 Oct 2013, 12:34

Greetings,
I think your suggestion is heading the right way and I hope to see caravans etc. in-game, but I don't think you need some kind of quest for stuff like this. An example: If the game develops the way I hope it will, you should get hired as a guard by a merchant you met on the streets. My point is, you can talk to people, so the need of a "quest board" is limited. Of course, putting up a sign saying "I need a guard! 500 coins payment!" is simple and you can leave the place after you set it up, but you could as well just stay a few minutes and scream so everyopne hears you :D

About the bounty system: We have a long thread somewhere around here discussing pros and cons of various solutions. I think we got to a point where we decided that "restricting someone's time in-game" (for example by keeping him in a prison for 5 minutes or carrying him around) was a bad idea and might scare people off. You might want to add your suggestion to that bounty thread though (I will look for a link to the thread).

Sincerely, Balariand

EDIT: There seem to be 2 threads about bountys ^^ bounty-hunting-t139/

EDIT 2: re-bounty-hunting-t194/

Reamagorn

Post by Reamagorn » 27 Oct 2013, 13:05

i get your idea on those boards :D i also thought about everyone putting their own, but i've seen it work and big cities basically get packed with those boards and it's annoying to walk looking for the one that might suit you.

and about shouting i didn't say this one cause for me personally, chat spam is really annoying :%) and it might take more time than you want, so i thought about something that might work as a solution and guarantee to both get the task done and get the money :D

ps. i've already read bounty hunting threads, though it happened after i wrote this :)

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 28 Oct 2013, 02:46

As a Vet of sandbox mmos, to heck :evil: with quest

Return to Suggestions and Ideas