Alignment clarification

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Bobik
Project Leader

Re: Alignment clarification

Post by Bobik » 20 Dec 2013, 12:53

We will see how things will work out and will balance alignment losses.

Players below -50 alignment wont be able to raise their alignment in any way, so that is point of no return.

If you had accidentally attacked someone you'll become a criminal, but just for a few seconds these should not be enough to kill you. Just avoid returning fire and all would be nice. In fact if that griefer will be too excited to kill you ASAP he might hit you at the moment when you had stopped being a criminal, which will result him being an offender and will turn everything upside down :)

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 20 Dec 2013, 13:20

I have to say honestly... HELL YEAH! No more problems with retarded PKers running around, swinging their swords and stuff, a chance to become lifetime killer is actually harsh and terrifying, so all gankers who reach that point will have to hide in their caves. Well that's a relief, we will be able to build in peace. Just awesome.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 20 Dec 2013, 13:29

Peace? lol
This isn't a feudal tycoon. It is a sandbox mmo with no pvp restrictions. If one's karma will get back to normal in a week then he may ko or kill a person once a week with no consequences. If you meet 7 people a day then you have nearly 100% chances to be ko'ed by one of them.
Muahaha!
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 20 Dec 2013, 14:19

As a Friday Evening Gag :D Try to guess what tombstone will appear on a corpse of good alignment player and which on a corpse of negative alignment one ;) :evil:

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 20 Dec 2013, 14:28

Hey, will there be a showel so that we could dig 'em out and check our guess? :)

Gladius
Alpha Tester

Post by Gladius » 20 Dec 2013, 14:36

Bobik wrote:We will see how things will work out and will balance alignment losses.

Players below -50 alignment wont be able to raise their alignment in any way, so that is point of no return.

If you had accidentally attacked someone you'll become a criminal, but just for a few seconds these should not be enough to kill you. Just avoid returning fire and all would be nice. In fact if that griefer will be too excited to kill you ASAP he might hit you at the moment when you had stopped being a criminal, which will result him being an offender and will turn everything upside down :)

Sounds like an interesting system.
If someone has a -50 alignment, does that mean that person's character will be an outlaw for the rest of the game or until they make a new character?

If so, i thought maybe it would be interesting if there was some kind of a pilgrimage mechanic.

For example, if there is a -50 alignment character and the player has had enough of the life of an outlaw, they could be given the chance, like once a month or once every 6 months or something, to make a dangerous pilgrimage to a holy place.
If they reach it, they could get a + one point alignment and the one time chance to slowly reverse their negative alignment.

This could also be some kind of an event, with the presence of the pope.

Or, the outlaws who want to repent, can be sent on a holy war by the pope, with the same effect: if they survive, there alignment goes to -49 and they have the chance to reverse it once.
Just an idea.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 20 Dec 2013, 14:44

When we will make all basic functionality and will have a stable servers and clients, then we will get back to Pope system. In my vision Pope will be the one who will be able to forgive some amount of sinners once a certain amount of real life days.

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 20 Dec 2013, 15:24

i love the tombstones!

Cian
Alpha Tester

Post by Cian » 20 Dec 2013, 23:40

First off. Bobik, I love the GFX for the tomb stones. That it just awesome.

Secondly,

Arrakis09 wrote:I have to say honestly... HELL YEAH! No more problems with retarded PKers running around, swinging their swords and stuff, a chance to become lifetime killer is actually harsh and terrifying, so all gankers who reach that point will have to hide in their caves. Well that's a relief, we will be able to build in peace. Just awesome.

Arrakis you live in a dream world. Let me smack you with some reality.

First off, just because sombody is a "bandit" doesn't make them a ganker. A ganker is a group of people that kills one person in an unfair fight. Not quite the same thing.

Secondly, anyone who wants to mass murder will simply do as much damage as they can within the limits of the proposed system. If they can only kill one or two people a week they will, raise alignment, then rinse and repeat.

Third
No you can't build in peace. Life is feudal buddy. Your "gankers" will simply turn into professional war deccers who will ruin your town before moving on to the next one. After all, you have to be able to wage official wars without alignment penalties. So they will use that system.

Finally,
A hardcore system will only weed out the people who want to pk but are terrible at it. The ones left over will be the true hard cores who will likely destroy you in combat every time because it's what they live for. Chances are, they will be more successful in this game than you want to believe.

The only defense you have against a group of players that wants to murder you and take your stuff is being better at killing than they are. Any other mindset will leave you woefully unprepared for the consequences of a sandbox environment.
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 21 Dec 2013, 11:51

I fully agree to Cian. I have the same vision at current state of the game.

The only way you can live in prosperity is to assemble a group of hardcore players and 'sell' your guild lands for private housing. This way you can get resources from the people who want to live in peace and dedicate your time to defending them instead of gathering resources.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 21 Dec 2013, 13:50

Well I surely ain't sell my lands to anyone, and all trespassers will meet my axe and my people anger.

HamsterPants

Post by HamsterPants » 21 Dec 2013, 16:36

Arrakis09 wrote:Well I surely ain't sell my lands to anyone
That sounds like a personal problem. hahah

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 21 Dec 2013, 16:52

I don't see any problem in here except for those who is going to invade our homestead.

HamsterPants

Post by HamsterPants » 22 Dec 2013, 02:37

Arrakis09 wrote:I don't see any problem in here except for those who is going to invade our homestead.
I was talking about trade, not invasions (quite different things).

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 22 Dec 2013, 06:33

If you'd like to quarrel, go to the private messages, guys! Please be more informative in your posts.

Arrakis, you are gathering an alliance in order to be protected from pvp guilds but here you sound so tough that it seems that you don't need one? =)
Hamster, could you please point where were you talking 'bout trade? And how is it connected with lands protection? :)

As for my opinion, the world will soon be overcrowded. If people will see that you have lots of unhabitated lands on you guild claim, the will force you to share it. I see the use of the lands around town in selling them to friendly players. The will pay feudal tax and play sandbox, but if they help us in combat, their tax is reduced for the current week. That is a good way to stimulate players to participate in guild events or make them useful if they don't like fighting.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 22 Dec 2013, 20:35

Telakh I never spoke about my need of protection, it's not all that alliance is about, but that's not the place for that topic.

Yes, world will be overcrowded after some time, but not instantly, but even then I doubt people will be able or for that matter in need to force other guilds to share they lands, since for instance my guild will gladly rent some land for some fee, there are few more rules about that but that's not important here.

You really should not worry about overpopulation, because this world is big enough to sustain hundreds if not thousands of players. You should worry about resources and trading, because in time when villages will be created it will be all about building materials, it will be mostly about these materials.

There may appear some groups of gankers, but that will be minority and they will be more for just killing people for fun and items rather than lands. There may be some PvPers that will just go from one battle to another, but I doubt these kinds of guilds will just attack some small, insignificant villages that won't even pose real threat.

So back to the topic, ammount of activities in the game + this alignment system will really reduce the threat from gankers and pvp guilds, there is simply so much to do that people might not have even time for that at start, in later stages about several months there will start some serious mass pvp between big guilds, and there will be alliances and kingdoms and guilds joining in fight to support their allies, that is where pvp is concetrated here.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 23 Dec 2013, 06:09

It is mostly a matter of time when the people will learn all the game mechanics, become bored and start pvp activity, and the less content will be available in release, the sooner it will happen. As for the owerpopulation - single-server games are doomed for that.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 23 Dec 2013, 10:37

Telakh wrote:It is mostly a matter of time when the people will learn all the game mechanics, become bored and start pvp activity, and the less content will be available in release, the sooner it will happen. As for the owerpopulation - single-server games are doomed for that.

How optimistic to think overpopulation as a problem, indeed :D

This game is made for large quantities of people on a single server. The gameplay is also entirely different from most MMOs. What makes you think that overpopulation will occur?

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 23 Dec 2013, 10:43

Common sence. I've been playing games with 15x15 km map and it is not big at all. Besides I have been playing "entirely different MMOs" and LiF gameplay looks very familiar for me =) You will feel it pretty fast when a bunch of 50 noobs will chop down the bonny "Pormore" that you loved to admire from your walls and when they start to dig a mine underneath your basement afterwards. :twisted:
This game is made for a large community inded, but how rubbery will it be? =) How many people do you expect to be online in a month?
I am not afraid if it and it is not a problem probably, but it will affect the gameplay and I am just pointing that all our forecasts will have to face it.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 08 Jan 2014, 19:31

There will no peace for sure. Players will join/create clans, start controlling territories in order to become prosperous. We have to admit one thing here - PvP will be happening and quite a lot. My brains start to swell from thinking how the alignment system will deal with clan clashes. It's really obvious that some resources will be more profitable, others not so much. Who will be freely willing to start specializing in wheat growing, if it's least profitable occupation? And the world will be 29 x 29 kilometers, so big enough for alpha, but Bobik should consider bigger maps/alternative servers in latter stages of the game. If it becomes popular, even 100x100 kilometers will not be enough. And success is what I am wishing sincerely for this game! :beer:

Now, not to be constant "off-topic guy", I also wanted to ask one thing about alignment system - let's say I see a person attacked by bandit(-s) - if I start defending that person, which is obviously non-aggressor here - would i get +alignment or -alignment for helping victim to defend and attacking those bandits?
QUAERO TOTUS

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 08 Jan 2014, 19:47

If they had started an aggression first - they will be marked as criminals (grey color). So anyone will be able to attack them without fear of loosing alignment. It does not really matter if you're victim of that aggression that is fighting back or just a passer by who wants to get involved.

Makiol

Post by Makiol » 08 Jan 2014, 21:47

What is this marker? :
A cookie, a cookie, my kingdom for a cookie!!! cit. Richard III

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 08 Jan 2014, 21:49

Makiol wrote:What is this marker? :

Player gets flagged as criminal (grey). The visual indicator usually is that their on-screen name changes color.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 09 Jan 2014, 09:02

Thokan wrote:
Makiol wrote:What is this marker? :

Player gets flagged as criminal (grey). The visual indicator usually is that their on-screen name changes color.

:good:

PabloX

Post by PabloX » 10 Jan 2014, 02:46

Will claimed lands under siege have their alignment rules altered?

The official war declaration prevents the attackers and defenders from incurring alignment loss when killing each other.

However, given that in sieges, there may very well be mercenaries, and other outside forces who are simply going where the action is. Which unfortunately puts the attacking and defending realms in the "awkward" situation that they must kill these individuals in the interest of their siege offense/defense but incur an alignment penalty each time.

For example: Individual decides to merc himself out to the attackers in a siege BUT has no official affiliation with them. He joins them in the attack and is killed in the strike by a defender (who now incurs a penalty if they struck first even though it was in defense of a siege)

I realize if the "merc" attacks first they will be marked the criminal but having to think about that in the defense of your castle on your lands (your laws) during a siege may be unreasonable. I can also see it being exploited for both sides if that is the case for as marginal or significant benefit it may provide.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 10 Jan 2014, 04:36

PabloX wrote:For example: Individual decides to merc himself out to the attackers in a siege BUT has no official affiliation with them. He joins them in the attack and is killed in the strike by a defender (who now incurs a penalty if they struck first even though it was in defense of a siege)

I am sure it's not hard to script mercenaries list into the clan management - if You join clan squad for war actions, manager adds You into "mercenaries" list, so that You would be treated as clan member considering penalties.
QUAERO TOTUS

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 10 Jan 2014, 10:20

PabloX wrote:Will claimed lands under siege have their alignment rules altered?

The official war declaration prevents the attackers and defenders from incurring alignment loss when killing each other.

However, given that in sieges, there may very well be mercenaries, and other outside forces who are simply going where the action is. Which unfortunately puts the attacking and defending realms in the "awkward" situation that they must kill these individuals in the interest of their siege offense/defense but incur an alignment penalty each time.

For example: Individual decides to merc himself out to the attackers in a siege BUT has no official affiliation with them. He joins them in the attack and is killed in the strike by a defender (who now incurs a penalty if they struck first even though it was in defense of a siege)

I realize if the "merc" attacks first they will be marked the criminal but having to think about that in the defense of your castle on your lands (your laws) during a siege may be unreasonable. I can also see it being exploited for both sides if that is the case for as marginal or significant benefit it may provide.

Altering alignment rules in a certain area during siege events might be a good idea. Otherwise, declaring a war on any guild that you see in enemy lines might be really long and hard. We will see how things will turn out, maybe it will be easier to move sieges into same instanced environment as battles are. Then managing all rules and altering alignment system will be much easier.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 10 Jan 2014, 15:40

Yea having non flagged people in a siege puts the defenders in a very hard position. How would a defender hold the wall if a random person could climb a ladder and block you or stab you in the back since you cannot strike first without penalty.

In the game Lineage 2 anyone entering a large area around the castle during a siege would become flagged.

deutch
Alpha Tester

Post by deutch » 10 Jan 2014, 16:50

I think any (hostile guild or passer) entered the territory of another guild (even during the siege), already obtained the offender and can beat the first defender, without fear of punishment. Or not?

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 11 Jan 2014, 18:18

Here's a quick conundrum for you, imagine this situation:

A horseman is charging you down, you have a spear available, but you don't want to take alignment penalty.

If you let the horse hit you first you will lose the advantage of having your spear, and with horse alpha-strike damage probably being very high, will most likely lose the fight near-instant.

If you DO use spear, you maybe win the fight, but suddenly YOU are the aggresor, and everyone can dog-pile you without worrying about alignment.

Maybe you could use a shield but, against a couched lance or similar attack? I don't know... it would also force you to use a one-handed weapon, putting you at a big disadvantage once more.

In melee you can usually still "eat" the first hit but reducing damage with block or parry, but against a horse? Seems alot more painful and disadvantageous than normal.

So how to solve this situation? If you make bracing against a charge not count as aggression then you suddenly have walls of people with spears near every chokepoint, demanding tribute. If you don't though, how can you defend yourself from riders without alignment penalty? I know in old times everyone that rode a horse was nobility so you'd get a bad rep just for defending yourself, but this is surely not the case in LiF :P.

Anyone got ideas on this?

Yours truly -The Pope

Return to General Discussion