Alchemy makes Herbalism useless?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Alchemy makes Herbalism useless?

Post by Deantwo » 29 Aug 2015, 15:18

I have just started trying out the new Alchemy implementation that was added since last I was active.

I had originally thought that you would have to use the "preparations" from Herbalism to make potions in Alchemy, but this does not appear to be the case.

Alchemy has nothing to do with the Herbalism "preparations". Alchemy is a separate way to do almost the same thing, but better.

So once you have researched all your herbs and have the Alchemy skill and an Alchemist's Table/Shop, is there any real reason to have the Herbalism skill above level 60 at all?
I don't even think the level 100 Herbalism luck bonus applies to Alchemy.
The Foxtail empire successfully defended against the evil space ponies!
Read all about it: Second Invasion of Rævehjerte Repelled

- Shores of Hazeron

Uno

Re: Alchemy makes Herbalism useless?

Post by Uno » 31 Aug 2015, 07:55

1) the skill descriptions ingame already state what you found out, since they speak of ingredients and alcohol.
2) it is more than obvious that Herbalism luck can't apply to another skill...

To the get to the main point. Alchemy, besides requiring a lot more skill points, also needs more elaborated ingredients. In the MMO with a much larger map I imagine Herbalism becoming a good backup to Alchemy, since all you need are your trusted sickle and mortar&pestle, in the wild, to be able to make some useful preparations.
Also, herbalists byproducts like spices (flavour), naphta and flux benefit greatly from quality like every other crafted item, and max quality is determined by skill level. You would resort to a 60 skill herbalist only in complete absence of a better one.

But yeah, I would agree that making Alchemy work with preps could have been better. For trading as well, as an alchemist could buy quality preps from an herbalist.

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 31 Aug 2015, 08:30

Yeah those are the only advantages I could think of too.
But with a low skillcap, saving those 40 skill points for something else can become important.

I am still on with the whole "remove the skill tree" wagon, but as the game is right now Herbalism is useless as long as you have an Alchemist's Table/Shop.

You only need alcohol for the cocktails, which for the most part have limited uses. I found the "Restore hStam" cocktails to be very powerful, but stat increase cocktails are hardly worth the trouble to make. For example a 2 point increase to willpower that only last 3 minutes.

Haven't found a good use for catalysts yet, as I can't seem to use them without wasting them. Will know more once I can try the large amout of organic catalysts I have.

- Shores of Hazeron

Jeannedarc
Beta Tester

Post by Jeannedarc » 31 Aug 2015, 14:13

whenever I take the alchemy line, I never go above 60 herbalism as at the moment, in my opinion there is no point.

I would like to see a use for the preparations as once you get to alchemy they are kind of useless. Including them in Alchemy could be a good idea.

I also feel as if there isn't enough variety in the alchemy line in general, once you get your flux etc sorted, there's not a lot too do,

The catalysts increase the magnitude of a potion, or the positive or negative per second granted. Apparently the highest magnitude you can make is 5.5 but I have only been able to get that up too 4.5

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 31 Aug 2015, 21:26

Jeannedarc wrote:The catalysts increase the magnitude of a potion, or the positive or negative per second granted. Apparently the highest magnitude you can make is 5.5 but I have only been able to get that up too 4.5

I noticed that catalysts have 3 unknown properties just like herbs, the only different I have seen is that you can end up using them without learning anything from them.

- Shores of Hazeron

Jeannedarc
Beta Tester

Post by Jeannedarc » 31 Aug 2015, 21:39

I noticed that catalysts have 3 unknown properties just like herbs, the only different I have seen is that you can end up using them without learning anything from them.

I thought it was only 2, one positive, one negative. Yeh, they get consumed even if they don't match the herb attributes, which can be annoying, esp when finding the mineral combinations.

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 31 Aug 2015, 23:28

Jeannedarc wrote:
Deantwo wrote:I noticed that catalysts have 3 unknown properties just like herbs, the only different I have seen is that you can end up using them without learning anything from them.

I thought it was only 2, one positive, one negative. Yeh, they get consumed even if they don't match the herb attributes, which can be annoying, esp when finding the mineral combinations.

Yeah, at least the organic catalysts have 2. I guess I remembered wrong.

I only managed to discover one catalyst property so far, so this will take a while. And the Herbalism tool I normally use to keep track of this doesn't really support catalysts.

- Shores of Hazeron

Return to General Discussion