Navigation.

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Sensei
Alpha Tester

Navigation.

Post by Sensei » 10 Feb 2014, 01:15

Is it clear how people will navigate the world? Maps? Compasses? Wind direction? Pure luck and exploration?

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Re: Navigation.

Post by Cloud » 10 Feb 2014, 01:21

Sensei wrote:Is it clear how people will navigate the world? Maps? Compasses? Wind direction? Pure luck and exploration?

Yea, a map would be great with co-ordinates.

The map is so big, it'd be nearly impossible to locate someone just by landmarks.

When Rust first came out, took me like 4 hours just to find my friend. :/

Neosn

Post by Neosn » 10 Feb 2014, 01:30

Yeah, it would be nice if we were given a base map on the forums to use and modify. As for a map in game with coordinates, I sort of feel like it would be against the sense of realism that this game is going for.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 10 Feb 2014, 01:30

Neosn wrote:Yeah, it would be nice if we were given a base map on the forums to use and modify. As for a map in game with coordinates, I sort of feel like it would be against the sense of realism that this game is going for.

Yea, I understand. What if it was possible to craft maps as a profession?

Sensei
Alpha Tester

Post by Sensei » 10 Feb 2014, 01:44

A basic map dump would of course be very nice :)

That isn't my real question though - I'm more interested if there will be ways to find N, and therefore the other points of the compass.

I don't mind having to learn it all by exploration - but it helps to at least not end up wandering helplessly in circles :)

Druss
Alpha Tester

Post by Druss » 10 Feb 2014, 01:55

Hopefully you can create a crude compass. And perhaps a cartography skill to make maps when the game is closer to release would be nice

Demetrius

Post by Demetrius » 10 Feb 2014, 14:46

I suppose the alpha testers will have to use landmarks first, in Wurm Online it worked perfectly for me

Valdin
Alpha Tester

Post by Valdin » 10 Feb 2014, 14:52

I don't mind using landmarks and things of that nature. You tend to learn the common paths fast enough as long as there is a good map dump to reference off of.

With this style of game it seem inevitable that there will be 'highways' created by the players just like in Wurm. But a crude compass with North on it would be nice too

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 10 Feb 2014, 15:09

Landmarks are a good idea, but only if we will have enough unique objects to cope on, while the map is really huge.
It would be great if we could get map by default, but it would be covered with "warfog". And only when You explore through certain places, they become uncovered at Your map.
It would be also handy to have ability to put marks and notes on the map as well.
LiF should implement friend support early as well - You can see Your friends on a map so You can easily find them, thus surpassing the problem of finding each other (like in Rust). Buuut, if while all starting players will be placed in newbie island, not a big deal if no such option will be available.
QUAERO TOTUS

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 11 Feb 2014, 07:00

I prefer landmarks, the sun, the stars, and the moon.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Druss
Alpha Tester

Post by Druss » 11 Feb 2014, 07:19

yeah i would prefer not to have a interative radar showing your friends. Have to do it the old fashioned way. Maps yes interactive maps sounds nice, but normal navigation

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 11 Feb 2014, 11:58

I don't mind being thrown in blind honestly, but I think it better for the game that there be a mini-map at least, idk, up to the devs.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 11 Feb 2014, 20:07

the hometown advantage is heavily reduced by even a simple directional compass. If you live somewhere You are familiar with you can shout," They are in the direction of the big tree stump. " While the other group is all confused and shouting,"They are to the right! which right?! Yours or mine?! "
If everyone has a Compass people just shout," to the Southwest!"
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 12 Feb 2014, 00:43

Ishamael wrote:I prefer landmarks, the sun, the stars, and the moon.

+1

Vallras
Alpha Tester

Post by Vallras » 12 Feb 2014, 05:55

I think it would be a great addition to the game if we could have our own maps, and write on them. I think this could add a nice aspect to PVE as well as PVP, in the context that if you kill someone, find their map, see what is written onto it, find good spawns,treasure hunt.

Blutaar
Alpha Tester

Post by Blutaar » 12 Feb 2014, 06:56

a compass and maybe a map which you can create by yourself is enough...

Mortal Online for example has only a compass and it was enough, if you play the game some time you will give your own names to some places so your teamm8 know exactly what you mean...

but that's only my opinion 8-)
Wyrd bið ful aræd!

Elysana
Alpha Tester

Post by Elysana » 12 Feb 2014, 06:59

Vallras wrote:I think it would be a great addition to the game if we could have our own maps, and write on them. I think this could add a nice aspect to PVE as well as PVP, in the context that if you kill someone, find their map, see what is written onto it, find good spawns,treasure hunt.

It would be funny if the "treasure" is actually a trap! :P

EmyLightsaber
Alpha Tester

Post by EmyLightsaber » 14 Feb 2014, 12:20

Anything that gives a direct idea of where someone is, i.e. minimap would be pretty much gamebreaking.

I wouldn't want to have something where I can see all the wildlife on my minimap and be like, 'there's a bear 6 meters to my left, i'd better go this way', as opposed to actually noticing the bear moving around or smelling the bear's wet fur scent, to think was a bear nearby.

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 14 Feb 2014, 12:26

EmyLightsaber wrote:Anything that gives a direct idea of where someone is, i.e. minimap would be pretty much gamebreaking.

I wouldn't want to have something where I can see all the wildlife on my minimap and be like, 'there's a bear 6 meters to my left, i'd better go this way', as opposed to actually noticing the bear moving around or smelling the bear's wet fur scent, to think was a bear nearby.

This discussion is about world map and your location on it. Not about minimap with red dots showing where enemy is - that will not be in game. You need to mouse over other player to even see if he is at war or not with you.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432

EmyLightsaber
Alpha Tester

Post by EmyLightsaber » 14 Feb 2014, 13:30

Woah, easy.

I guess I was also referencing the World map as well, not wanting to be able to see exactly where I am, but needing something like a (possibly craftable) compass of some sort.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 14 Feb 2014, 13:33

Ishamael wrote:I prefer landmarks, the sun, the stars, and the moon.

Awesome idea, navigating via the sun and whatnot.
+1

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 14 Feb 2014, 13:35

This is like totally the Haven and Hearth-player in me speaking but I would by the way totally go for bear-detecting mini-map.

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 14 Feb 2014, 13:39

I think there should be option for showing your location on map. Chosen once while buying account.

It would please couple of people and not discourage thousands.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432

Return to General Discussion