Primitiv spear

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

DennisOlsen

Primitiv spear

Post by DennisOlsen » 23 Sep 2014, 21:31

I Think.. You can create primitive tools, witch its cool, but a primitiv spear to hunt, fight and protect your self with would be great.. I know you can fight with the axe, but a spear is really realistic too.. I was attacked by a wolf today (witch surprised me) and it Got me because it managed to get too close.. But with a spear i could have protected myself much better... What do you Think ??

Best regards
Dennis

TgTemplar

Re: Primitiv spear

Post by TgTemplar » 23 Sep 2014, 22:10

This would be nice, yes. I'd suggest keeping it as a militia weapon, else you need to level leather/padded leather before you can use it.

If not primitive spear, "Sharpened Branch."
New RP Server that is driven entirely by you, the players.
post25586/#p25586
Give us a go!

Heinrich_von_Leipa
Alpha Tester

Post by Heinrich_von_Leipa » 23 Sep 2014, 22:53

+1 !!!

Yes indeed, being able to make a really primitive actual weapon amongst the primitive tools (e.g. a spear, the human's first weapon after the thrown stone) would be just right and shall, yes pleeease, be added at some point!

KilonKasio

Post by KilonKasio » 23 Sep 2014, 22:56

This sounds perfect. I went head to head with a wolf the other day and didn't know the messages that would pop up. They ended up beind the cause of my death but I thought to myself "had i had something with more reach, i may have lived long enough to cut the messages off and run"

Artyem

Post by Artyem » 24 Sep 2014, 16:51

Does nobody else find it silly that you need to be proficient in armor use before you're even allowed to equip a spear?
Veteran c-RPG player

Ragtimer

Post by Ragtimer » 24 Sep 2014, 18:59

Artyem wrote:Does nobody else find it silly that you need to be proficient in armor use before you're even allowed to equip a spear?

You are not alone on this. I think you should be able to use almost anything simple but the effect of the tool should be managed (improved) by skills.
Maybe the Skill level should mean the percentage (%) of the effect. Or the ordinal (graded) improvements of skills could raise efficiency of tools like: 1-49 is low and represents percentage (%) but as soon as you hit 50, your efficiency is doubled so you can use the tool at 100% efficiency and as soon as you hit other markers (like 70 or 90) you might expect an other boost.
Last edited by Ragtimer on 24 Sep 2014, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 24 Sep 2014, 19:08

This system is made that way mainly to prevent people from creating overpowered hybrids, such as archer in full plate armor etc.

Ragtimer

Post by Ragtimer » 24 Sep 2014, 19:26

But this way it's the same as defining classes !!?
You have to invest points in other Skills you need to fulfill criteria for using a specific tool. (like ... learn armor then spear then you learn to fight with spear ) well its nothing other than to bind those prequesites in a pack and say: ok, you can choose from packs (traits) and decide to be a spear+bow or spear+smith or spear+Taylor
the only difference is that you may switch those packs (though it takes you some time to do so)
Last edited by Ragtimer on 25 Sep 2014, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 24 Sep 2014, 19:43

Not class, more like speciality. It's all properly balanced so each speciality have its merits and flaws, and when you suddenly decide that current playstyle does not fit you you can always respec. Yes it is time consuming, but life is feudal, nothing can be done instantly (unless you are admin of the server and you want to haha)

Artyem

Post by Artyem » 25 Sep 2014, 01:36

So simply don't allow people to use bows with anything heavier than light armor.

Do it with any ranged weapon, it doesn't really matter. The point is that the spear is an important weapon in any medieval army, and it's beyond silly that you have to be proficient in wearing padded armor before you're even allowed to equip one.

Makes about as much sense as an animal lore requirement to make rope.

oh wait...

EDIT:

Make boar spears and shorter spears militia service weapons at the very least. Everything else I can agree with, but certain spears need to be lower tier weapons.
Veteran c-RPG player

DennisOlsen

Post by DennisOlsen » 25 Sep 2014, 06:16

I was thinking a spear made if a flintstone.. really primitiv spear, it should not do too much damage like a iron spear and so, but it would be nice to protect my self against wolf's and other's.

as Richard smith says, it was one of the first primary weapons, so i think it would be realistic and great to be able to craft it, so please make it possible :)

by the way, i think the axe looks a little to big, should scale it a little down, a flint axe in that size would be heavy, so make it maybe half the size it is now, and i think it would be perfect, the damage and effect when workin with it should not change too much thoug :)

Best regards and hope to see you on the fields one day :)

Dennis

Sushiy

Post by Sushiy » 01 Oct 2014, 15:10

YES! I am all for primitive weapons! and also the deconstruction of the "weapon progression"..
because:

Axes come after swords? so are all axes better than swords or what's the reason for that? Is it that axes don't need leather and would hasten the players progression?
Are all crossbows inferior to bows? etc.

Don't like it. You squeeze players into leveling stuff they don't want to and they don't need. That's very unsandbox..and not very believable either.
Why do I have to level swords to 60 if all i want is hacking away at people with my axe?

On the armordiscussion:
Arrakis09 wrote:This system is made that way mainly to prevent people from creating overpowered hybrids, such as archer in full plate armor etc.

But isn't that completely against the "sandbox spirit" ?
As a player I feel an extreme lack of freedom in this way...
If fullplate archers would've made sense, they would've done it in the middleages! But it didn't! Now why is that? because you can hardly move in full plate, your sight is worse and it would be tough to reach your quiver!
On the other hand, heavy archers with chainmail were quite the thing! As well as half-plate crossbowmen (in the later middleages)!

Why not work through a system of buffs and debuffs?
plate armor gives a debuff to drawing/reload time and strength of bows, leather armor or padded armor gives a buff.

Arrakis09 wrote:Not class, more like speciality. It's all properly balanced so each speciality have its merits and flaws, and when you suddenly decide that current playstyle does not fit you you can always respec. Yes it is time consuming, but life is feudal, nothing can be done instantly (unless you are admin of the server and you want to haha)

"speciality" is just another word for class..face it: you are shoving players into battleclasses.

I propose completely restructuring the current battleskills.
If you want to train with spears from the get go - do it! if you want to train with axes - go for it! You have to admit from a players point of view the current leveling through different stuff you don't want is ridiculous and unnerving.
But that's not gonna happen i presume.

On a sidenote: armorskills are way too early in the trees to really keep people from making a platearcher anyways

Viik

Post by Viik » 01 Oct 2014, 16:48

Let me explain how I understand the system.

Let's forget about gamebalance or restrictions like plate+armor, I personally don't see any evidence of such restriction in skills tree:
100 2h Blades + 100 Plate Armors + 60 Throwing + 60 Leather Armors + 60 Crossbows + 100 Bows = 480 skills. Maybe there is a mechanical restriction of not being able to equip plate and bow at the same time, but I haven't seen it yet.

IMHO, the reason why axes is later in tree than a sword is to simulate your general experience with weapons. If you are in medival army, it's easier to learn how to effectively use sword first than start with an axe (these are not woodcutting axes). I don't know all details on damage range but I expect that 2h axes hit harder with downside of smaller hit area, so it's harder to connect. In real-life they have even more downsides to swords and require more specialized training, it has to do with balance, protection of your hands, form and etc. This is what game tries to simulate.
The same is for crossbows and bows.

Regarding classes, please, just try skill calculator, there are limits of skill combinations but they are not as strict as it looks. Don't forget that your stats give bonus to specific skills, which means you don't even have to put all the points into skill to have effect from it.

Ulrich_von_Riga

Post by Ulrich_von_Riga » 02 Oct 2014, 12:43

+1 Primitive spear is needed. Think it was the first weapon humans invented
Dictatorship - is the only real power!

Return to Suggestions and Ideas