Private Claim For Small Groups

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Velius

Re: Private Claim For Small Groups

Post by Velius » 17 Dec 2017, 17:52

Macpharlan wrote:Then what is the point of the game if it only caters to guilds? It is supposed to be for different sized groups, they even name them, a 'band' would be that smaller than a guild, mercs or other small group, but you need to allow them to survive and grow.

You would vassal to them, either as a solo player or small group living on a personal claim within their domain, or on a guild claim within their domain. You would be indebted to them and likely pay some form of tax in the form of coin, resources, labor, mercenary work, or whatever else the two parties agreed upon as fair, and in exchange you would receive boons from them.

Few examples that u have offered to people:
A parcel of land - Must obvious one, you would be shown a location where you could build, farm, harvest, etc as you see fit so long as you did not use it to aid or harbor any known enemies
Protection - You attack one of us, you attack all of us. If you are harmed or harassed we will bring down the wrath of Thor upon your assailants. This is actually how the current largest war in the NA server began
Trade Agreements - Need coin? I will offer you coin for items the crown will not, and for your time spent laboring above and beyond any pertaining to your vassalship (Think I'm crazy? You try mining and shaping 80,0000 granite and tell me how far you get before you think "I wish we could just pay someone for this..."
Building Assistance - So you need a well but are almost out of skill points. No problem. Get yourself 30 in construction, I seek come it to your claim and lay down a foundation for a well. It will be up to you to complete it. Can't make the rope for it? We will sell you any needed resources at a healthy discount*

Also I am going to say this loud and clear: "And in exchange we won't kill you" is not a valid incentive. It is certainly part of the package, and is also usually the final stage before violence ("I am sorry, but we will need to ask you to move on from our lands if you will not accept our offer." ... "then I have no choice, you will need to be evicted by force. I will give you one hour to make one last reconsideration.)

Amy guild that uses that of violence as the first and especially if it is the only incentive to vassal under then is not one you should associate with our live in proximity to. Move on. In the end your experience will be better for it.

*Does not apply to regional building kits. Those things can burn in hell for all eternity.

Macpharlan

Post by Macpharlan » 19 Dec 2017, 19:50

I actually like the idea of vassaling, but don't like having to have them inside your realm, that space it to small and usually filled up with trees/resources.

Let them have a level tiered claim like a guild, no further, let them vassal and be tied to your realm like you outlined above, that way the realm can spread your influence further out.

I really don't see the problem with a group of under 10 having the tier 1 claim of the guild, I think it would improve the game immensely and give more variety.

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 19 Dec 2017, 20:00

I am not sure how big your monument is at this point, but there is a lot of room on the realm claim, its really big. I am thinking we could easily house 4-6, 8 man "non Guild" groups on our realm claim and still have 2/3 of it left over for anything else we need.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 20 Dec 2017, 02:19

To clarify a few points, because there were some exagge eyed claims about what is needed to eke out an existence as, say, a solo Hunter in the game. You can make a bow at Artisan 60, Carpentry 30. In terms of Hunting, getting that to 60 is good so that you can track larger animals - going beyond that is not really necessary. The important thing is to make sure your Slinger stat is high at the get go (the one mistake I made), so that you can actually use a bow.

I knew I wanted to play solo and tried to establish my character from the start with that in mind - knowing that I wasn’t going to have an easy or extravagant life... which is fine, because I really have no desire to live in this game. And, so far, that’s worked for me. I’m not using a bow yet, but I’m still hunting... and I have to dedicate a day to getting coins. I know that I may have to come to an agreement with neighboring guilds, but that doesn’t mean I have to join one. I have zero interest in wars or guild politics in the game, so nobody’s really going to want me in their guild anyway.

I do wish that, since personal claims can be simply overtaken by guild claims, that we didn’t have to use coin - but could use other things for sacrifice. (Maybe require coins for personal claims beyond 30 tiles). But, there are still enough incentives to guilds and downsides to personal claims that large groups banding together would choose a guild over a personal claim.

But I know of at least one other person besides myself who is enjoying playing this game solo. Just requires a shift in focus and expectation.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 20 Dec 2017, 17:27

Entspeak wrote:To clarify a few points, because there were some exagge eyed claims about what is needed to eke out an existence as, say, a solo Hunter in the game. You can make a bow at Artisan 60, Carpentry 30. In terms of Hunting, getting that to 60 is good so that you can track larger animals - going beyond that is not really necessary. The important thing is to make sure your Slinger stat is high at the get go (the one mistake I made), so that you can actually use a bow.

I knew I wanted to play solo and tried to establish my character from the start with that in mind - knowing that I wasn’t going to have an easy or extravagant life... which is fine, because I really have no desire to live in this game. And, so far, that’s worked for me. I’m not using a bow yet, but I’m still hunting... and I have to dedicate a day to getting coins. I know that I may have to come to an agreement with neighboring guilds, but that doesn’t mean I have to join one. I have zero interest in wars or guild politics in the game, so nobody’s really going to want me in their guild anyway.

I do wish that, since personal claims can be simply overtaken by guild claims, that we didn’t have to use coin - but could use other things for sacrifice. (Maybe require coins for personal claims beyond 30 tiles). But, there are still enough incentives to guilds and downsides to personal claims that large groups banding together would choose a guild over a personal claim.

But I know of at least one other person besides myself who is enjoying playing this game solo. Just requires a shift in focus and expectation.

Guilds can not over take your claim anymore. They have to be setup a "safe" distance from your private claim, and then they have to grow and expand OVER your claim, which can take a week at most, a couple of days at least.

The cost of a small claim is cheap, VERY cheap. A few building logs will often pay for several weeks of a 30 tile or less claim.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 20 Dec 2017, 17:41

I can tell you from experience that “a few building logs” will not pay for several weeks... at least not real life weeks. A few logs will get you just short of a week for a 20 tile claim, on a good run - that’s with high quality hardwood building logs. And, if you’re talking in-game weeks, please be specific about that - in-game timeframes are pointless when it comes to maintaining a small claim. I don’t have a real life clock to gauge in-game time.

“Expanding over” a personal claim means you “take over” that claim, does it not? I mean, we can play word games all day, but the result is the same... the player with the personal claim no longer really has a claim.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 20 Dec 2017, 18:40

Ok a building log doesnt matter if it is softwood or hardwood, is a building log. They go for around 15cp coins each I believe. (Been a while since I sold one.)

It costs 1cp coin per tile per game day, max of 1,000,000 Upkeep can be stored.

You can also sell clay tiles. Big hides, which I sell... every day.

Your average big hide goes for 14cp each, I sell on average 6 a day, just out for 30 min hunting on my tile. I get 8 big hides a day, 2 go to my guild (not required, but I do it because it is right). 6 get sold for about 80-90cp total.

Every week I take that money from the trade post to my claim and refill my upkeep. It keeps me about 3weeks of REAL life time on my claim.

I also sell any jewelry found on dead bodies, or the bodies of my enemies. This is an easy few gold.

My claim is only 56 tiles big... which isnt that big, I have been debating on making it bigger but I dont want to have to do more hunting to pay for my upkeep.

I do all of my hunting on foot, with a short bow, I did it previously with a simple bow so I know it can be done.

I have no skills at 90. And I am at 412 of 412 of my crafting skill points.

I know it isnt impossible to do these things as a small group, because I have done it all by myself on my claim. And I did it in under a weekend. I also know it isnt that hard, but it just takes some effort, time and planning.

My next project will require the help of a guildmate, I am planning on adding a small stable to keep a horse in for travel to and from the guild claim to my claim. And that is because my construction is only 1..... dont have enough points for everything.

And honestly you dont need more than a 20 tile claim as an individual. In 20 tiles you can set up a tiny shack, and fill it with bark boxes and live just fine.

Rohaan
Devoted Believer

Post by Rohaan » 20 Dec 2017, 18:54

The devs have been very specific from the start, Life is Feudal

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 20 Dec 2017, 21:41

Hodo wrote:Ok a building log doesnt matter if it is softwood or hardwood, is a building log. They go for around 15cp coins each I believe. (Been a while since I sold one.)

It costs 1cp coin per tile per game day, max of 1,000,000 Upkeep can be stored.

You can also sell clay tiles. Big hides, which I sell... every day.

Your average big hide goes for 14cp each, I sell on average 6 a day, just out for 30 min hunting on my tile. I get 8 big hides a day, 2 go to my guild (not required, but I do it because it is right). 6 get sold for about 80-90cp total.

Every week I take that money from the trade post to my claim and refill my upkeep. It keeps me about 3weeks of REAL life time on my claim.

I also sell any jewelry found on dead bodies, or the bodies of my enemies. This is an easy few gold.

My claim is only 56 tiles big... which isnt that big, I have been debating on making it bigger but I dont want to have to do more hunting to pay for my upkeep.

I do all of my hunting on foot, with a short bow, I did it previously with a simple bow so I know it can be done.

I have no skills at 90. And I am at 412 of 412 of my crafting skill points.

I know it isnt impossible to do these things as a small group, because I have done it all by myself on my claim. And I did it in under a weekend. I also know it isnt that hard, but it just takes some effort, time and planning.

My next project will require the help of a guildmate, I am planning on adding a small stable to keep a horse in for travel to and from the guild claim to my claim. And that is because my construction is only 1..... dont have enough points for everything.

And honestly you dont need more than a 20 tile claim as an individual. In 20 tiles you can set up a tiny shack, and fill it with bark boxes and live just fine.

Okay, good to know about hardwood vs softwood, but quality does play a role. You’re saying you get 3 weeks real life maintenance for 56 tiles from 90cp/day? Not possible... it simply doesn’t add up. It is 2.5 coins per tile per real life day. A 56 tile claim runs 140 cp per RL day. Three weeks would run 2,940 cp. At your high 90cp/RL Day from hides, that’s just over 32 days or roughly 4 and a half weeks of 90cp/day worth of hides to get 3 weeks maintenance. So, what you’ve described isn’t accurate... the math simply doesn’t work.

I know I don’t need more than 20 tiles - that’s what I’ve got and I’ve maintained it, but it just simply doesn’t work as you’ve claimed. It is not easy - especially if you have to continue going to the central trading post. Making an arrangement with a guild for use of their trading post certainly would make it easier - and, I’m looking into that.

Now, I’m not complaining about the difficulty, but don’t use false claims to make it sound easier than it is.

Rohaan wrote:The devs have been very specific from the start, Life is Feudal

They have also advertised the game to make it sound like, while yes it is better to group up, you can enjoy the game on your own. Read the About page for the MMO, watch the videos they have included in the launcher. None of them explicitly state or even imply that joining a guild is really the only way you’re going to enjoy the game.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 20 Dec 2017, 23:09

Entspeak wrote:
Okay, good to know about hardwood vs softwood, but quality does play a role. You’re saying you get 3 weeks real life maintenance for 56 tiles from 90cp/day? Not possible... it simply doesn’t add up. It is 2.5 coins per tile per real life day. A 56 tile claim runs 140 cp per RL day. Three weeks would run 2,940 cp. At your high 90cp/RL Day from hides, that’s just over 32 days or roughly 4 and a half weeks of 90cp/day worth of hides to get 3 weeks maintenance. So, what you’ve described isn’t accurate... the math simply doesn’t work.

I know I don’t need more than 20 tiles - that’s what I’ve got and I’ve maintained it, but it just simply doesn’t work as you’ve claimed. It is not easy - especially if you have to continue going to the central trading post. Making an arrangement with a guild for use of their trading post certainly would make it easier - and, I’m looking into that.

Now, I’m not complaining about the difficulty, but don’t use false claims to make it sound easier than it is.

Rohaan wrote:The devs have been very specific from the start, Life is Feudal

They have also advertised the game to make it sound like, while yes it is better to group up, you can enjoy the game on your own. Read the About page for the MMO, watch the videos they have included in the launcher. None of them explicitly state or even imply that joining a guild is really the only way you’re going to enjoy the game.

Never said it was just 90cp a day. I am saying that is how much I make per day in how little effort I put into it. I make 90cp per day in about 30-45min of hunting on foot.

If I were to go hunting with a horse I could easily quadruple that per hour.

On average on my tile I see 6 deer, 2 moose, 6 wolves and a bear. Along with a few dozen rabbits, and grouse. Figure if I kill every deer, moose and wolf that I see I am looking at 14 hides that sell at the market. 14 * 14 = 1s96cp. That is if they are low to mid quality hides.

This is with little to no real skill other than archery and hunting. (and the associated skills for them)

If I get regional hides I can sell them to guilds for almost double their market value, if not more.

The meat isnt that useful to me as I have food for months.... But again, you can trade regional meat for coin to guilds with cooks that need them for 5 ingredient foods.

If you are not into hunting you can make nearly 30cp per fired clay tile. You can crank those out by the dozens in an hour.

Or you can make padded armor bits and sell them....

Money is easy to make. Even for a loner.

I also make money from PVP, I kill my guilds enemies loot their bodies.. sometimes they have jewelry which sales for several silver. And I sell their armor... more coin.

One good hunt and I can net in a couple of gold in an evening of hunting enemies and animals.

I keep the heads of those I have slain on poles out behind my house... makes for an interesting conversation piece.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 20 Dec 2017, 23:38

I get 8 big hides a day, 2 go to my guild (not required, but I do it because it is right). 6 get sold for about 80-90cp total.

Which is it. 8 big hides a day or 14... or is it more? Please let us know, you seem to be shifting the goal post here big time.

You said, "Every week I take that money..." What money were you talking about? The only money you mentioned was the 80-90cp/day. But, when called out on that, now you're saying you weren't talking about that 80-90cp/day, but more money from other sources... nor were you really talking about 8 big hides a day, but... sometimes 14. Well, I guess we'll just have to take your word on that then. Good on ya... you've mastered the game. Kudos.

Macpharlan

Post by Macpharlan » 21 Dec 2017, 02:24

I think the overall point of this thread is to show the Devs that the personal claim system needs to be worked in order to add more balance and life to the game. Sure there are folks that like it that way, but those seem to either favor the guild system or don't mind spending most of their ingame time in getting money to keep your land protected, which for most folks is game killing.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 21 Dec 2017, 15:28

Entspeak wrote:
I get 8 big hides a day, 2 go to my guild (not required, but I do it because it is right). 6 get sold for about 80-90cp total.

Which is it. 8 big hides a day or 14... or is it more? Please let us know, you seem to be shifting the goal post here big time.

You said, "Every week I take that money..." What money were you talking about? The only money you mentioned was the 80-90cp/day. But, when called out on that, now you're saying you weren't talking about that 80-90cp/day, but more money from other sources... nor were you really talking about 8 big hides a day, but... sometimes 14. Well, I guess we'll just have to take your word on that then. Good on ya... you've mastered the game. Kudos.

Here is my exact break down from last nights exploits on my home tile.

I logged in at about 9PM Local. Grabbed my bow, and a 155 arrows, my war axe and a skinning knife and a a half dozen cooked game meat (what I call field rations).

Headed out hunting, following some moose tracks. Took about 5 minutes for me to get to the moose and another 10 to kill it. Skinned it, kept the hide, the rest was discarded. Tracked down 3 wolves next, killed all of them, 3 more hides. Then a small herd of deer, 2 doe, and a hind. All dead, again... just the hides.

Now I am sitting on 7 hides all worth something. Took me a total of an hour and 20 minutes to kill those. Was called away early by our warlord as we had a call to arms at the main keep. So I geared up grabbed my horse, and rode over to aide. Ended up having to kill a half dozen interlopers on our land. Looted some jewelry off of them and bits and pieces of armor. Sold everything to the crown... made out with about 20 silver and 64 cp for the night.

This happens about once a week for me. Grand total playtime last night 2hours 45min. Logged off at midnight my time. Spent 15minutes getting my piety up to 30 so I could praise my god, and get my alignment back up.... (minor issue).

On average my daily income is about 90-100cp. My weekly income including loot from spoils is around 25-30silver.

I make it a point to be part of the kingdoms activities for military calls, and other tasks. I have even contracted my work out for our vassals. When they need a carpenter or a bow crafter. I would ask for either coin or things I can sell for equivalent coin value.

The thing is claim cost is not that bad if you keep it modest. And work at paying it.

The only people in this game who have a real gripe about costs of claims should be herbalist and alchemist, as they cant sale ANYTHING to the crown.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 21 Dec 2017, 20:22

Okay. All of this is prefaced, of course, by “I got my start and leveled up in a guild.” And, again, it’s a different story from the original. So... cool. And, also, there is the alchemy of converting 100cp daily income into 25-30 silver per week. Good on ya. You’ve mastered the game, I guess. :good:

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 22 Dec 2017, 12:36

Velius wrote:This is not about endgame, this is simply playing a basic character. Let's say you wanted to be a simple hunter with a small homestead for yourself. Nothing fancy, no armor, no keep, no "yes, m'lord" lackeys.

Hunting 90: 90 skill pts (90)

You will need a bow, right?
60 artisan, 60 carpentry, 90 bowyery: 210 Points (300 total)

You'll likely want a house with an actual door so people cannot come murder you in your sleep..
(60 Artisan), 60 Construction, 60 Materials Preparation, 60 Smelting, 60 Forging: 240 Points (540 total)

Our guild would happily provide all the services in exchange for a few furs or some ground flattening work, so i see no problem here. It's not the skillcap but claim mechanics what prevents people from playing as lone wolves.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 22 Dec 2017, 14:05

Entspeak wrote:Okay. All of this is prefaced, of course, by “I got my start and leveled up in a guild.” And, again, it’s a different story from the original. So... cool. And, also, there is the alchemy of converting 100cp daily income into 25-30 silver per week. Good on ya. You’ve mastered the game, I guess. :good:

You are choosing what you want to pay attention to. Again I said I also PVP to make money in game. Armor and jewelry bring in a tidy little profit.

No need to get all snarky because you are trying to play a game based around teamwork and numbers as a lone wolf.

Velius wrote:This is not about endgame, this is simply playing a basic character. Let's say you wanted to be a simple hunter with a small homestead for yourself. Nothing fancy, no armor, no keep, no "yes, m'lord" lackeys.

Hunting 90: 90 skill pts (90)

You will need a bow, right?
60 artisan, 60 carpentry, 90 bowyery: 210 Points (300 total)

You'll likely want a house with an actual door so people cannot come murder you in your sleep..
(60 Artisan), 60 Construction, 60 Materials Preparation, 60 Smelting, 60 Forging: 240 Points (540 total)

And entirely possible with 70 intellect.

Funny how that works.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 22 Dec 2017, 18:59

I’m just calling out the specifics you mention... and how much you’ve tacked since your original post.

I’m not getting snarky... and if it appears so, it’s certainly not because of how I’m choosing to play the game - apart from the technical garbage, I’m having fun playing solo. You, came into this thread talking about how easy it was to maintain a personal claim on your own... but, then we learn that 1) it’s not as easy as you originally made it out to be, and 2) you’re talking about this in conjunction with having access to a guild. So... you’ll pardon me if I give your advice little credence - considering the shifting goal posts. :good:

That said, you don’t need anything higher than 60 Hunting, no more than 60 bowcraft - meaning 60 aartisan, and crafting. You certainly don’t need a house with a door. You will have to buy or trade for things to get good arrows and other things. But, you don’t need to be a member of a guild.

It’s not easy, but not impossible.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 22 Dec 2017, 21:53

Sure I do more than just solo. But even as a solo it is still very possible. I have several guild members that have set up private claims in other regions JUST to get those resources for the main guild several tiles away. I think we have one private claim as far away as 15 tiles.

I could do EVERYTHING I have done currently as a solo player with very little changes except I would have to be far more picky on my player kills. As to avoid massive alignment hits. I would perhaps just knock them out instead of killing them.

Hunting wouldnt change... my shack wouldnt change, my claim wouldnt change... nothing would really change. So not seeing a big difference here.

Even my leveling wouldnt change. Seeing as I did vast majority of it alone anyway.

But you all make it sound like it is impossible. I didnt say it was easy, I just said it isnt that difficult.

And it is pretty easy for a small group of people to do. If 5 people cant come up with the silver to pay for 60-70 tiles of space for couple of shacks or a house or couple of 30-40 tile claims side by side to have a small village of shacks... then perhaps they arent trying hard enough.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 22 Dec 2017, 23:06

As I said before, dude, it's clear you've mastered the game. We should all pay close attention to whatever you say... as soon as we can figure out exactly what that is through the piles of misleading and seemingly contradictory information. :good:

Could is not have - could is more of a boast than anything else. When you have, then, perhaps there'll be something to say.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 23 Dec 2017, 06:58

Well mr Ent, you seem to have a real bro-crush on me so here is a pic of me so you can dream of being as good as me one day.

Entspeak

Post by Entspeak » 23 Dec 2017, 16:38

You go, girl. 8-)

Return to Newcomer Section