Retreat and surrender

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Re: Retreat and surrender

Post by InnocentFarmer » 09 Aug 2014, 19:26

Kern wrote:Sorry to talk again about prisoners, but maybe we can do it with advantages for the winner without waiting for the prisoners.

What if there is a kind of ransom to be payed for prisoners, and the amount of money could be provided by work. The prisoners would have to work for their jailers, until the value of their work is equal to their ransom (determined by social position). The ransom can also be payed by the prisoners faction, which would handle two cases:

- The prisoner is a simple footman, no one will pay for his ransom (and yet we can imagine that a faction can pay for a group of prisoners). Their ransom is small, so they can do work that the jailers doesn't want to do themselves (mining, chop wood...) for a few time. They also can escape, but they take risk for their lives and possibly loss of alignment.

- The prisoner is an officer or lord/king. The faction will have to pay a huge ransom, or some free officers will take their chance to replace their leader and forsake him. Then his ransom will be as low as footman, but he have lost his social position.

I'd still regret buying the game if it was like that. No prisoner system at all is what I want from a game like this.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 09 Aug 2014, 21:45

Kern wrote:Sorry to talk again about prisoners, but maybe we can do it with advantages for the winner without waiting for the prisoners.

What if there is a kind of ransom to be payed for prisoners, and the amount of money could be provided by work. The prisoners would have to work for their jailers, until the value of their work is equal to their ransom (determined by social position). The ransom can also be payed by the prisoners faction, which would handle two cases:

- The prisoner is a simple footman, no one will pay for his ransom (and yet we can imagine that a faction can pay for a group of prisoners). Their ransom is small, so they can do work that the jailers doesn't want to do themselves (mining, chop wood...) for a few time. They also can escape, but they take risk for their lives and possibly loss of alignment.

- The prisoner is an officer or lord/king. The faction will have to pay a huge ransom, or some free officers will take their chance to replace their leader and forsake him. Then his ransom will be as low as footman, but he have lost his social position.

Taking freedom and playtime away from a player who may have limited time to play a week will only hurt the overall game.

You don't need prisoner ransoms to make money off winning a battle even if most of your enemy yielded or surrendered.

1. You gain loot from the dead.
2. You gain authority for winning.
3. If you completely dominate a series of battles you could demand a tribute of resources from your enemy instead of destroying there town.
4. You could also force them to become your vassal under any terms you dictate.
5. If your clan is strong enough you could threaten smaller clans to pay tribute or die.

Micro managing individual player prisoners is way more tedious and a waste of everyone's time.

Kern
Alpha Tester

Post by Kern » 09 Aug 2014, 23:17

I'm not for this idea, I just wondered about possibilities when we yell. What happens ? Everyone drink hail together once the battle is over and return home singing X) ?

Ramaraunt

Post by Ramaraunt » 10 Aug 2014, 07:18

I think the best idea in this argument about imprisonment is to make a compromise between the two sides.

If you don't want to deal with all of these shenanigans, you can just suicide and respawn to start over again. This way its optional.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 10 Aug 2014, 14:59

Prisoner system is just a waste of space for a open world crafting PvP MMO. It's about freedom, not complex, hindering game mechanics/systems.

MachineMedic
Alpha Tester

Post by MachineMedic » 10 Aug 2014, 15:06

Prisoner system is just a waste of space for a open world crafting PvP MMO. It's about freedom, not complex, hindering game mechanics/systems.

I concur.

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 10 Aug 2014, 16:02

Proximo wrote:Taking freedom and playtime away from a player who may have limited time to play a week will only hurt the overall game.

You don't need prisoner ransoms to make money off winning a battle even if most of your enemy yielded or surrendered.

1. You gain loot from the dead.
2. You gain authority for winning.
3. If you completely dominate a series of battles you could demand a tribute of resources from your enemy instead of destroying there town.
4. You could also force them to become your vassal under any terms you dictate.
5. If your clan is strong enough you could threaten smaller clans to pay tribute or die.

Micro managing individual player prisoners is way more tedious and a waste of everyone's time.

if you would say this few weeks earlier, i would disagree, but now, I don´t want it either. :no:

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 11 Aug 2014, 09:43

This can easily be put in by YOU as the player ASKING in some OOC (out of character) manner if someone would like to RP getting imprisoned.

Even after a battle the winning side can do the same - and those from the loosing side who WANTS to will stay and play with you. Those who do not, go do what they want.

Its called RP... No one should be forced to be inprisoned in a game like this - for all the reasons mentioned - and thousands more... :beer:
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 11 Aug 2014, 10:23

Flannery wrote:This can easily be put in by YOU as the player ASKING in some OOC (out of character) manner if someone would like to RP getting imprisoned.

Even after a battle the winning side can do the same - and those from the loosing side who WANTS to will stay and play with you. Those who do not, go do what they want.

Its called RP... No one should be forced to be inprisoned in a game like this - for all the reasons mentioned - and thousands more... :beer:

That's acting rather than playing a game.

Ramaraunt

Post by Ramaraunt » 14 Aug 2014, 04:11

Siegbert wrote:
Flannery wrote:This can easily be put in by YOU as the player ASKING in some OOC (out of character) manner if someone would like to RP getting imprisoned.

Pretty much. I'd rather it was designed so you could suicide to get out of imprisonment, but if you are imprisoned enemies can actually lock you in cages, hook you to shackles, etc. If someone is okay with roleplaying as a prisoner, I don't think the game shouldn't discourage it.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 14 Aug 2014, 07:32

If you did surrender you wouldn't lose skillpoints and might get your gear as well.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 16 Aug 2014, 00:51

Lukepop wrote:If you did surrender you wouldn't lose skillpoints and might get your gear as well.

That's what the yield button does.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 04:22

no. You can lose skill points from yielding and definitely lose gear.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 16 Aug 2014, 22:07

Lukepop wrote:no. You can lose skill points from yielding and definitely lose gear.

Incorrect, you only lose something if they kill you after you yield which is death causing your loss and not yielding.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 23:01

If they knock you out you probably lose all or most of gear cause they'll steal it.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 18 Aug 2014, 21:39

Lukepop wrote:If they knock you out you probably lose all or most of gear cause they'll steal it.

Exactly.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 19 Aug 2014, 06:26

Not sure I understand but it seems like the same point I was trying to make. K?
Link to Tirmani thread:

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 19 Aug 2014, 11:27

Siegbert wrote:

Well here I was thinking thats exactly what RP is.... I must have been mistaking completely *duh*

Last I checked this is a full loot mmo"RPG"....

Of course Its acting! Just as you as a fighter act as a bloodthirsty warrior when you PvP. Its just that you have combat animasjons that aid you in visualizing it ;-)

To actually have a mechanism built into a mmorpg where you can unwillingly be taken hostage and kept against your will is a game for a few people who are power sick who feed on depriving other people of their freedom to play the game as they choose to.

I could go along with a lawenforced system where you can get jail time and so on for breaking the rules - but thats as far such a system should ever go for a mainstream game.

You would turn a game which is within a popular niche - and turn it into something that would only offer something that a very low percentage of such a population would want.

Last I checked the devs need to get people to play LiF:YO for the MMO to ever become a reality... This would greatly lower the chances for that to ever happen!

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 19 Aug 2014, 12:00

Flannery wrote:
Siegbert wrote:That's acting rather than playing a game.

Well here I was thinking thats exactly what RP is.... I must have been mistaking completely *duh*

Of course Its acting! Just as you as a fighter act as a bloodthirsty warrior when you PvP. Its just that you have combat animasjons that aid you in visualizing it ;-)

It should rather be about you immersing yourself in a role but you play for real. You don't act as if you're losing a fight and you shouldn't act as if you're being held captive. It should really happen to you while you're maintaining your "role".
I have no interest in staging a play while online gaming.

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 19 Aug 2014, 19:47

Siegbert wrote:
Flannery wrote:
Siegbert wrote:That's acting rather than playing a game.

It should rather be about you immersing yourself in a role but you play for real. You don't act as if you're losing a fight and you shouldn't act as if you're being held captive. It should really happen to you while you're maintaining your "role".
I have no interest in staging a play while online gaming.

A game is there first of all to give you the ability to actually loose yourself from the daily turmoils of the Real World. A place to be something else, and not a slave to the reality you normally live in.

So you want it to be a built in mechanism that enables you to decide and dictate what I am doing with my precious little free time, and make me a slave to your game style?

Nu-uh... that's not a game, mate... that's a fetish...

One thing is to be a part of something that makes you a pawn in a greater kingdom strategy, whether you are a worker, explorer, tradesman or warrior - or simply a lone hermit making a living from what he or she can - and having to keep with the rules and others that depend on you.

It is a completely different thing to actually expect that everyone should welcome the thought of logging in and use their precocious time sitting in someone others custody - and do nothing...

If that should be allowed - it is just as deranged a feature as it would be allowing a mechanic that makes it possible to rape the women after you have razed/conquered a village or town...

Again - What you are suggesting is something for a few. First of all you have to be "into it" and second you need to be of the type of player who can set aside at least a few hours to play when ever they are logging on - or else what would be the point?

I see no positive aspect of putting such a system into a game at all - and it adds nothing but fun for a very, very few - and frustration and rage quitting for most others.

If the game is to flourish and survive in the long run - non of this should ever happen.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 19 Aug 2014, 20:06

The way I picture it it wouldn't necessarily be frustrating. It would be in a way that leaves you the captive a choice whether to remain in captivity or be killed/commit suicide but lose stuff that's precious to you. It would be a kind of agreement between you and your captor and it shouldn't be for an unlimited time. Maybe you'll gain some skill of some sort for being in captivity for 10 minutes without dying, idk.

All I'm saying is that I find the idea interesting. The details could be puzzled out.

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Post by InnocentFarmer » 24 Aug 2014, 12:57

Siegbert wrote:The way I picture it it wouldn't necessarily be frustrating. It would be in a way that leaves you the captive a choice whether to remain in captivity or be killed/commit suicide but lose stuff that's precious to you. It would be a kind of agreement between you and your captor and it shouldn't be for an unlimited time. Maybe you'll gain some skill of some sort for being in captivity for 10 minutes without dying, idk.

All I'm saying is that I find the idea interesting. The details could be puzzled out.

I'd kill my captives after 9 minutes.

Iivaitte

Post by Iivaitte » 29 Sep 2014, 00:31

There should be a lock picking system, The ability to strip a knocked out or incapacitated person, and the ability to rope or chain someone's hands.

With every System there must be a counter, so there should be a lockpicking. As with rope, you should be able to attempt break the rope or loosen the knot.

Everything else would happen naturally with bounties and all that socially.

Lets face it, It isn't a true medieval sim without a stockade and chains.

CirqueDuSolaire

Post by CirqueDuSolaire » 29 Sep 2014, 07:27

In my opinion, there's one super simple solution for this.

Not only does the game already have both a retreat and a surrender action already available to the player (retreat disallowing combat, but giving a speed bonus; surrender disallowing combat or movement, but penalizing the attacker a bunch of alignment if he kills you), but in the event that you are either taken prisoner or are about to be, there's this beautiful thing called Role-Playing that people so often overlook. This game is built from the ground up to be a medieval simulator, so why not simulate the medieval period?

Instead of implementing these rules of a forced surrender or a captivity timer or any other nonsense, have the players decide on this on a situational basis. Say you're being swarmed and you have no hope; you can either die like a badass or surrender on certain conditions that you and the other party agree to before the action is completed. If the other party decides to scumbag you and keep you beyond the agreed time, have the option for suicide available to the player to allow them to continue playing the game (obviously they will suffer the negative effects of dying, but they won't be bent over on a stockade having tomatoes thrown at them).

I can't wait to either be taken prisoner or take somebody else prisoner, I'm dying to play this game in an MMO setting, and I can't wait to Role-Play the shit out of my guy.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas