World of Warcraft Private Server Compared to Lif Server?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Ethereal

World of Warcraft Private Server Compared to Lif Server?

Post by Ethereal » 10 Oct 2014, 07:03

I never really like the game World of Warcraft, (Just not a fan of the themepark MMO genre) however I had tons of fun running my own private emulated WoW server.

I saw some videos on youtube of LiF:YO and saw people editing their games database with hiedi sql and it reminded me of all the fun I had running WoW emu servers.

I know there are many limitation on Lif:YO private servers like, 64 players max, small map size, etc, but what can a private server owner change besides stat modifiers, build speed, and skill cap type stuff?

Can a private server owner spawn completed buildings anywhere they want? Can a private server owner implement custom textures or 3d objects into the game?

Let's say I wanted to make a Greeko-Roman style village with custom 3d models I made myself could I do that?

I've read that Life is Feudal won't have any real mobs to kill, like dragons or goblins only realistic medieval animals. Could I implement custom mobs on my own private server and spawn them anywhere?

Is there anyway I could edit animations?

I know much of what I'm asking is client side editing, but it was so much fun editing the World of Warcraft client and sharing your creations with other people on a WoW emu server.

Haladmer
Alpha Tester

Re: World of Warcraft Private Server Compared to Lif Server?

Post by Haladmer » 10 Oct 2014, 07:33

Ethereal wrote:I never really like the game World of Warcraft, (Just not a fan of the themepark MMO genre) however I had tons of fun running my own private emulated WoW server.

I saw some videos on youtube of LiF:YO and saw people editing their games database with hiedi sql and it reminded me of all the fun I had running WoW emu servers.

I know there are many limitation on Lif:YO private servers like, 64 players max, small map size, etc, but what can a private server owner change besides stat modifiers, build speed, and skill cap type stuff?

Can a private server owner spawn completed buildings anywhere they want? Can a private server owner implement custom textures or 3d objects into the game?

Let's say I wanted to make a Greeko-Roman style village with custom 3d models I made myself could I do that?

I've read that Life is Feudal won't have any real mobs to kill, like dragons or goblins only realistic medieval animals. Could I implement custom mobs on my own private server and spawn them anywhere?

I know much of what I'm asking is client side editing, but it was so much fun editing the World of Warcraft client and sharing your creations with other people on a WoW emu server.

Might want to message Bobik directly with this, as when you start talking about new graphic models and animations, or adding entirely new creatures, it sounds more like you want to build a new game (or do a total conversion mod) on his framework.

For what you can do within the current framework as a GM/Admin, there is a list of commands and features here (http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/gm-mode-patch-0-2-0-0-is-out-t2942/) and here (https://lifeisfeudal.com/billing/gmcommands.php)
“There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.”
- Henry Kissinger

Ethereal

Post by Ethereal » 10 Oct 2014, 10:23

Haladmer wrote:
Ethereal wrote:I never really like the game World of Warcraft, (Just not a fan of the themepark MMO genre) however I had tons of fun running my own private emulated WoW server.

Might want to message Bobik directly with this, as when you start talking about new graphic models and animations, or adding entirely new creatures, it sounds more like you want to build a new game (or do a total conversion mod) on his framework.

For what you can do within the current framework as a GM/Admin, there is a list of commands and features here (http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/gm-mode-patch-0-2-0-0-is-out-t2942/) and here (https://lifeisfeudal.com/billing/gmcommands.php)

A total conversion? No I'm just looking to add a few mods...

I find that list of GM commands to be very limiting.

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 10 Oct 2014, 10:42

I'm pretty sure you can implement your own buildings if you know what you're doing. The only thing I haven't looked at concerning doing such a thing is adding new 3D models, but I figure they're just standard Torque format, so you should be fine. Retextures are possible as well.

I haven't looked at animations or adding new mobs yet.

Note that for many modifications you'll need to distribute client-side files to your server's players as well, but I suppose that's no surprise to you.
Pioneer LiF:YO modder
Author of Life is Balanced
My Modding Guide

Haladmer
Alpha Tester

Post by Haladmer » 10 Oct 2014, 16:11

Ethereal wrote:
Haladmer wrote:

A total conversion? No I'm just looking to add a few mods...

I find that list of GM commands to be very limiting.

Ah, I must have just been reading into it then.. either way, good luck on it! :D
“There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.”
- Henry Kissinger

Ethereal

Post by Ethereal » 11 Oct 2014, 05:07

Maegfaer wrote:I'm pretty sure you can implement your own buildings if you know what you're doing. The only thing I haven't looked at concerning doing such a thing is adding new 3D models, but I figure they're just standard Torque format, so you should be fine. Retextures are possible as well.

Note that for many modifications you'll need to distribute client-side files to your server's players as well, but I suppose that's no surprise to you.

This was possible with World of Warcraft Emu server, but is it currently possible in LiF:YO servers?

I'm sure individual user would have to download some sort of client file to account for all these players changing the map.

Ajaxx84
Alpha Tester

Post by Ajaxx84 » 11 Oct 2014, 05:43

Ethereal wrote:
Maegfaer wrote:I'm pretty sure you can implement your own buildings if you know what you're doing. The only thing I haven't looked at concerning doing such a thing is adding new 3D models, but I figure they're just standard Torque format, so you should be fine. Retextures are possible as well.

This was possible with World of Warcraft Emu server, but is it currently possible in LiF:YO servers?

I'm sure individual user would have to download some sort of client file to account for all these players changing the map.

I direct you here sir.

modded-servers-f50/

Return to General Discussion