Could LiF support a second server if only Guild v Guild PvP?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Archaegeo
Alpha Tester

Could LiF support a second server if only Guild v Guild PvP?

Post by Archaegeo » 24 Mar 2014, 02:32

This is not an attack on the current plan, rather a question if it would be a viable way to get more subscribers to the game.

Do you think LiF could support a server where the only PvP that can occur is between members of guilds declared at war with each other?

I am going to be on the full PvP server, will all the risks that entails, I love what the game is offering and the excitement of such an environment, even if I flee from PvP most of the time.

That being said, LiF has some INCREDIBLE systems that would really appeal to sandboxers who love to terraform and create, but do not want to have to worry with getting ganked every time they turn around.

This would increase the revenue stream for the company and thus get more development for all of us.

In theory the code would already be mostly in place, adaptable from the alignment code that differentiates between random pvp and war pvp, so should not be a huge coding lift.

This is truly a discussion thread, not an intent to change anything with the current mechanics of the first server.

I personally believe (and have been told on Wurm) that there are a number of people who would play, from Wurm, Minecraft, EQN:L, and others, if they didn't have to worry with random ganking when out gathering resources or developing their land.

For example: Right now on Wurm there are 890 players online. Of those, 629 are on the PVE servers (No PvP at all allowed). That's 70% of a game with systems similar to LiF in the non-combat area.

It sounds like a winner to me, but I was hoping to have a discussion about it.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Re: Could LiF support a second server if only Guild v Guild

Post by Protunia » 24 Mar 2014, 02:41

There is property around the main city as well as houses in the main city for rent that players who are afraid of PvP can use in complete safety.

I really do not see any kind of server where players just roam about the entire map in complete safety happening.

As we have seen in Wurm this kind of thing with different rule sets on servers can lead to major problems when changing things in the game as a whole as well as split the community up over PvE. PvP. updates and other things.
Last edited by Protunia on 24 Mar 2014, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.

Wrekkoning
Alpha Tester

Post by Wrekkoning » 24 Mar 2014, 02:48

I could be completely wrong, but it seems that most people see your posts and instantly relate them to you complaining about how claims work and just assuming everything you say is somehow tied into your agenda to get that changed.

Like this one for instance. I see this post and instantly though.... "dude cares so much about his holding he is asking about a different server?"

your last post "Be warned: No delay on trespassing penalty". Again, a topic that could be related somehow related to your personal quest to change claims.

Im not saying you are, I'm just suggesting it.

Also, if i Ever go into IRC and not see you complaining about the claim system... i will literally crap a brick.

Archaegeo
Alpha Tester

Post by Archaegeo » 24 Mar 2014, 02:51

Protunia:

The issue with the property around main city on the PvP server is the lack of resources.

Yes, people could ask others to bring the resources, and I am sure we will see that happen.

I am more curious about what would be the drawback to a second server cluster that was only PvP when mutually agreed (war declarations), assuming of course it had the population to support the cost.

Wrekkoning:
The funny thing is I help anyone who asks for it in any game I play, I like providing answers if I have them and providing assistance when I can.

I have no current agenda to get claim system changed, I told Bobik I would drop that and I have. Everyone is allowed to have a mechanic they disagree with, and to discuss that disagreement, this isn't about claims at all, more about increasing the revenue stream for the game.

I even said, if you read the OP, I plan to be on the full PvP server if there were two. And the trespassing post had zero to do with claim changes, only to let people know there is no grace period.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 24 Mar 2014, 03:06

So realms with no PvP unless both agree....

heh.....You already know the problems as you have seen what people do in Wurm with deeds etc.

This type of thing also would lead to two different type of player bases and PvP/PVE players using this to exploit land control, resources, etc....

Not to mention what I said above...

As we have seen in Wurm with different rule sets on servers leads to major problems when changing things in the game as a whole as well as split the community up over PvE. PvP. updates and many other things.

The only way would be to make a completely separate non PvP Server and then you would have a split community and the same things you see in Wurm going on with the updates and player base.

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 24 Mar 2014, 03:26

This question should have been asked within the interactive faq thread here http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/interactive-faq-t3/. Direct feedback from the dev team is what you need.

The way it has been presented here seems like just another creative attempt to push a protect my claim agenda.

Try posting this in the correct thread to get answers and then at the point it becomes a valid topic of discussion we can bring it back here.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 24 Mar 2014, 08:07

Topic will stay locked, but I will answer here.

Our ultimate goal is to bring back to life that fragile balance and synergy of crafters/PvErs/peaceful fellows and PvPers/gankers/warmongers that was present in UO IS present in EvE, was sometimes in SB and was totally nonexistent in DF.

According to that goal we will try to keep all of those player types in a one box (sandbox :) ). And I will do my best to balance both of those players archetypes in one game on one server, because in my opinion that is only way that will provide enough fun for both of them without turning the game into boredom of grind or Quake-like arena.

Return to General Discussion