Purchasable NPCs

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Purchasable NPCs

Post by Jezbelle » 15 May 2014, 20:15

I would like to be able to purchase a variety of NPC merchants or guards to inhabit my own fort. These guards and merchants would be perma-death (if they die, they die for good). But they would persist in the world for as long as they live, even after the player owning them has logged off. This would allow typically empty player-built forts to become rest-camps for other players, providing sufficient player defenses around the clock, as well as a sense of community within the walls. This would vastly improve the usefulness of forts to your entire faction, and makes them worth fighting for.

NPCs could range from knights to archers, blacksmiths to peasants.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Purchasable NPCs

Post by Siegbert » 15 May 2014, 20:41

Not a chance

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 15 May 2014, 20:55

The thing about NPCs, apart from meaning alot more developer work, is that they significantly alter the nature of the game.

It took me some time to get used to the idea of an NPC-free game but I have to admit I think it's a really interesting idea. It's not exactly revolutionary but at the same time I can't think of a single game without NPCs. I think it's good to see them try something different like this. It will create a whole different level of economy and player interaction.

That's why I can't support this idea (as well as the one in your previous thread). It's not that I think your ideas are bad, I actually find them to be quite interesting, however I do believe an NPC free world would be even better, and it fits better with the idea of a realistic medieval world.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 15 May 2014, 21:08

People asked about NPCs so many times I have lost count.

There will be no NPC guards or any purchasable npcs at all, all work like defending your land etc you will have to do by yourself.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 15 May 2014, 21:42

Arrakis09 wrote:There will be no NPC guards or any purchasable npcs at all, all work like defending your land etc you will have to do by yourself.

I do not see how a player could possibly defend his land 24 hours a day.

As for programming mindless NPCs to stand around... that is possibly the easiest thing to do, and would not prolong development time.

When you raid an enemy fortress who's owner is offline, would you like to destroy a bit of his wealth and guards with him? Maybe encounter a little defense?
OR would you rather scale a wall and drop into a empty box?

Reciprocally, wouldn't you feel a little safer if you bought some guards to defend your keep while you slept?

This idea does not alter the game you envisioned one bit, it only accentuates what it has to offer. If you don't like this idea, I suggest you play minecraft!

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 15 May 2014, 21:57

Jezbelle wrote:I do not see how a player could possibly defend his land 24 hours a day.

As for programming mindless NPCs to stand around... that is possibly the easiest thing to do, and would not prolong development time.

When you raid an enemy fortress who's owner is offline, would you like to destroy a bit of his wealth and guards with him? Maybe encounter a little defense?

Reciprocally, wouldn't you feel a little safer if you bought some guards to defend your keep while you slept?

This idea does not alter the game you envisioned one bit, it only accentuates what it has to offer. If you don't like this idea, I suggest you play minecraft!

The ONLY way to actually destroy or steal someone's possessions is during the siege (if part of a guild or renting part of the land from some guild) or if one didn't set claim on his house & chest (if living alone as a hermit). So what do you want to protect during your absence?

Wurm had npc guards but they had purpose there, there were tons of monsters in the wilderness, here you will have only animals, which surely won't attack your settlement.

So here npc guards are absolutely useless and only would break the immersion. Players will live in this world and shape it during that time, the only npcs you will see will be merchants in the main city, that's all, period.

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 15 May 2014, 22:01

Jezbelle wrote:
Arrakis09 wrote:There will be no NPC guards or any purchasable npcs at all, all work like defending your land etc you will have to do by yourself.

I do not see how a player could possibly defend his land 24 hours a day.

It really is not about liking or not liking the idea - it has to do with this subject haveing been brought up exactly as you described it many, many times - and each time the dev's have commented and said the same thing. No NPC's.

What the dev's might have had ideas about early on, have clearly changed. I too read what you read early on - but Bobik made it clear on several occasions that there would be no PvE other than for hunting food and resources from animals. If those Natives will be put in or not is still not clear - only that other NPC's - Guards, Villagers, Merchants or any type will not be put in.

That's the word that have been given by the dev's themselves.

And frankly - I love it...

You have tons of games with tons of NPC's. Go play them instead, and let us have this ONE game without them. I think you will soon find that the majority of this community are people who do not want NPC's because we all love the idea of a player run world in all aspects of the word.

If you read about Bobik's vision for this game, you will soon find that what you are suggesting is the very same he tries to run from, and avoid for this game.

You can always claim it will please a larger mass of people to add NPC's - but that was never the point.
The point of LiF was to please a certain player mass, and to fill a gap that no other game managed to do entirely.

But the need for money, and funding has changed development before - it might do so again. Who knows.

You should rather follow the development of LiF: YO , as I am sure it will be more plausible and possible you can alter your server sometime in the future - and maybe add NPC's there.

But for the MMO?... Keep it true to the vision I say...

If you want guards guarding your house - HIRE some guard players!

No NPC's!

**Edit: Just fixed some spelling :D **
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

VictorcrackXD

Post by VictorcrackXD » 08 Jun 2014, 22:34

I agree with the idea, it would be amazing have Npc archers or crosbowman in your walls or lancers and swordsman patrolling around the kingdom that you have built with your own hands.
This is the most complete games that I could find and I think that put NPCs should be considerated something necessary for the developers :P
Of couse it is my opinion, but I have always wanted a game like this and of course with NPCs.

Other thing that i would like to add is that the captains of the faction and their king could lead these troopers :P

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 08 Jun 2014, 23:48

Already been asked about a zillion times and the answer is no.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 09 Jun 2014, 00:25

Indeed, that subject has been going over and over again and it was clearly stated by Bobik that it's not going to happen.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas