Too Much Entitlement

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Re: Too Much Entitlement

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 20:19

I actually am entitled, but that is a much longer story that is not much to do about this game.

I really am due more then most can fathom

That being said.

I spent all day yesterday downloading only to fail on last few bytes of download before extraction.

and now I can't install, does it really matter, not much, but it would have been nice to have gotten the Zealous Believers head start, or to reserve a player name, since I bought that years ago, but instead I will try download again and again as I spam the Install button.

But as I said, I really am entitled. and actually take great solace in knowing what I have earned, even if not yet paid.

mammalsauce
True Believer

Post by mammalsauce » 18 Nov 2017, 20:31

Weedzy wrote:People have every right to complain, they invested in something that was supposedly treated for those massive issues it currently has as an 'open beta'. People paid money to gain access to the game, while also keeping in mind the term 'beta': you'd expect massive drops in performance, small-medium bugs, a couple of crashes here and there. But you cannot longer put in the argument "it's a beta", since what is happening right now is early-alpha errors coming from the developer such as:

-The website/steam connection for accessing the MMO.
-The constant downtime of the servers.
-The connection errors it gives to players when they try to join in.
-The trouble with the premium stuff/tickets not being available to some.
-No steam library
-

The long waves which passed should have given the developers the time they needed to prepare. You cannot argue that they didn't have time, since they did, and some of the playerbase invested into those packages, expecting at least a SLUGGISH performance, since it is a beta.

It doesn't have SLUGGISH performance, you simply cannot get in the game and that pulls out a question mark for everybody. As a player here on the forum said, when you invest real money into something, you expect at least a tiny bit of profit. Well, here you didn't obtain anything. Not that tiny bit of satisfaction you were supposed to receive.

This guy gets it. You can't impartially say that this OBT launch wasn't a complete fucking disaster that could have been far better managed.

If I have to be partial though, despite how this is panning out, I still have to give these guys credit for at least trying to make good on their promise way back when that buying YO gives you access to the mmo once it's ready enough to play, and not just scum-bagging it in a way that many of us have grown accustomed to over recent years from other devs/pubs lofty promises.

Velius

Post by Velius » 18 Nov 2017, 20:50

Greasegunner wrote:

The big issue with what you're saying is that even though it's in beta real estate is a big deal in this game and there are lots of people who paid for and are LITERALLY entitled to what they paid for and are unable to get into the game whilst almost 700 people are on the EU server getting almost an entire day head start while people who paid for a head start can't even get on the game.

This pretty much sums it up. I'm guessing that a good deal of people didn't buy packs for a fancy title, or even premium status or currency. They bought it so they could be able to lay down claims to land before it was taken. LiF has always been about speed. If you can't get established fast enough in a good location you are likely going to get obliterated. While I was unable to purchase a pack due to financial reasons, prior to the beta I sorely wish I had because I realize what a game-changer 24 hours can be in this game.

Lazzie_Puca
True Believer

Post by Lazzie_Puca » 18 Nov 2017, 20:51

Well, the bright side is you can look at the forums and blacklist the whiners from potentially joining your guild. Toxic here will be Toxic there.

Greasegunner
Devoted Believer

Post by Greasegunner » 18 Nov 2017, 20:55

How dare you demand a certain level of quality and professionalism. You toxic scum.

Lazzie_Puca
True Believer

Post by Lazzie_Puca » 18 Nov 2017, 20:58

Velius wrote:
Greasegunner wrote:

The big issue with what you're saying is that even though it's in beta real estate is a big deal in this game and there are lots of people who paid for and are LITERALLY entitled to what they paid for and are unable to get into the game whilst almost 700 people are on the EU server getting almost an entire day head start while people who paid for a head start can't even get on the game.

This pretty much sums it up. I'm guessing that a good deal of people didn't buy packs for a fancy title, or even premium status or currency. They bought it so they could be able to lay down claims to land before it was taken. LiF has always been about speed. If you can't get established fast enough in a good location you are likely going to get obliterated. While I was unable to purchase a pack due to financial reasons, prior to the beta I sorely wish I had because I realize what a game-changer 24 hours can be in this game.

It would make a difference, but in what way. One could theorize that getting a claim on a 'hot' spot would be worse than settling out in the boonies. I personally think the meat and potatoes of the game is faction interaction and politics, highly contested land will likely just get you bullied away if you don't have the manpower while meaningful diplomacy and conflict could be had elsewhere.

Greasegunner
Devoted Believer

Post by Greasegunner » 18 Nov 2017, 21:02

Lazzie_Puca wrote:
It would make a difference, but in what way. One could theorize that getting a claim on a 'hot' spot would be worse than settling out in the boonies. I personally think the meat and potatoes of the game is faction interaction and politics, highly contested land will likely just get you bullied away if you don't have the manpower while meaningful diplomacy and conflict could be had elsewhere.

In the way that a large group of players now have an unfair advantage not only in real estate but in development, knowing full well this makes it more likely they will simply use this to lord over and take advantage of newer players. But of course the biggest and most glaring issue is that people who, again, LITERALLY paid for a head start not only did not get a head start but are now way behind in development.

Lazzie_Puca
True Believer

Post by Lazzie_Puca » 18 Nov 2017, 21:12

Greasegunner wrote:
Lazzie_Puca wrote:

In the way that a large group of players now have an unfair advantage not only in real estate but in development, knowing full well this makes it more likely they will simply use this to lord over and take advantage of newer players. But of course the biggest and most glaring issue is that people who, again, LITERALLY paid for a head start not only did not get a head start but are now way behind in development.

I get it, but there is a cost to contest such lands. Whose to say you'll team will end up the victor, and may perhaps such time for the guild would be better invested in securing safe lands and making favorable alliances. Consolidating power rather than just fighting a war of attrition? The game is what you make it though, I won't say you should play this way or that if your mind is set.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 21:30

I have a plan where to build, and figuring with a thousand players, I might have to be even a bit more remote.

But honestly if the game was all about a few hours making a big difference, the game would never get new players over time. And if I got the world size right it will take me hours to even get to my location anyways, considering the map size.

Although I do agree having the ability to start when everyone else does, or even earlier if that was a perk with being an early supporter would be nice. But I will be stat raising slowly, hopefully safely away from the big urban developments.

Although this conversation brings up a good point.
For a MMO to stay relevant, they probably would be adding new areas over time anyways, islands, or new land, or changes in terrain or something for new players over time. So that there is a chance for a new guild to develop or new players to get into the game and level up and make new towns.

The problem is when something is a little unfair, it is easy to whine, when it is always unfair, the problem is the system, and that becomes what to think about, and usually with a laugh. I don't conclude internet games are at that level of importance for anyone to whine about, but the staff of the games, since only for them is this development more then a game.

As far as the game, I am still skeptical, because I downloaded 5 or 6 times and never got it to install, now I can't download, but maybe my situation is unique, then again, I am only playing this game, or waiting to play, while I am waiting for the pay that is entitled to be sent to me to arrive(long story). And that is funny in itself.

Waiting to get paid, so I guess I will play a game...
where...
I wait to play the game...

Isn't that funny :)

So while waiting I post in a forum...
not expecting any replies...

AlexVestin

Post by AlexVestin » 18 Nov 2017, 21:33

Greasegunner wrote:But of course the biggest and most glaring issue is that people who, again, LITERALLY paid for a head start not only did not get a head start but are now way behind in development.

How are they behind in development? Aren't all just on the same level now?

Also. Where when you buy a starter pack is it implied that you get to start early?
To me that's just seems like an added bonus, visible to those that paid attention to the news feed.
It's not what you pay for, as in, it's not what you pay for.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 21:44

to the 600 or so people in the forums instead of in the games.

The easiest way to feel better about the situation.

Just think to yourself how pissed those playing in the game are going to be after they do a full MMO wipe when they get this recent round of bugs fixed.

Although my 90 day subscription is ticking down since I enabled it to install a couple days ago, and still have not got a workable version installed. first 3 days spent posting here :) that does bother me a little bit, but my play style is not to rush anyways, so not worried about head start other then understanding principle of it.

CombattMagoo

Post by CombattMagoo » 18 Nov 2017, 21:45

This launch should have been better. Half the players cant even log in.

Its really bad.

Velius

Post by Velius » 18 Nov 2017, 21:52

Lazzie_Puca wrote:I get it, but there is a cost to contest such lands. Whose to say you'll team will end up the victor, and may perhaps such time for the guild would be better invested in securing safe lands and making favorable alliances. Consolidating power rather than just fighting a war of attrition? The game is what you make it though, I won't say you should play this way or that if your mind is set.

Therein lies the entire reasoning that you need to be fast. With a 24-hour jump plus 36 hours worth of x2 skill gain and whatever bonuses premium confers, a clan can have stone walls, reinforced gates, iron/steel weapons, and archers. They will be able to defend the position far better than if everyone started at the same time.

They can then assert themselves on the surrounding settlements and broker treaties for resources in exchange for protection, provisions, etc. as well as form alliances. Being in a strong position would make them all the more attractive as an ally rather than an enemy.

Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 21:55

Lynchje wrote:This launch should have been better. Half the players cant even log in.

Its really bad.

Unless we be the bad half of the players

:sorry:

Ok that can't be it

:angel:

where not the bad half, we are the board half (see the pun)

And note the nuke, Oppenheimer, Robert

bad to bOaRd :D

Velius

Post by Velius » 18 Nov 2017, 22:00

Zathurus wrote:Although my 90 day subscription is ticking down since I enabled it to install a couple days ago.

Incidentally Zath, I can't tell since you have the Alpha Tester forum title whether you bout in at Zealot or not, but if so don't forget you now have a 120-day sub.

AlexTaldren
True Believer

Post by AlexTaldren » 18 Nov 2017, 22:03

You are entitled to something you pay for in a voluntary transaction. Period. "Entitlement" to things you haven't earned is a problem, yes.

If people demanded a free game because they don't want to pay for it, that's the false feeling of entitlement. When you buy something and want it in exchange for your money, that means you are entitled to it.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 22:22

Velius wrote:Incidentally Zath, I can't tell since you have the Alpha Tester forum title whether you bout in at Zealot or not, but if so don't forget you now have a 120-day sub.

Yea I got the zealot, or so it says in the email, and I pretty sure I bought largest package back in 2014,

I didn't know the days 30 for alpha, 90 for zealot stacked, thanks

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 22:27

AlexTaldren wrote: When you buy something and want it in exchange for your money, that means you are entitled to it.

"You are entitled to have what I say you have" - Monarchy system

You presume the current state of existence has a rule set and a legal systems. (For instance in the USA the law system currently is not in effect)

Most systems are actually closer to monarchy and only talk about laws to keep the peasants in line, although no need to give examples, the idea that some law entitles you to something, only matters if the systems in place enforce those agreements.

Feudal systems, and unfortunately most current systems only recognize what you can take as rule of law (because I can rule set).

Although I am entitled to be paid, but that is not about this game, but since you are delving into meaning of words, you need to also think about the systems those words operate in.

Or...
Look at the title.
And
You are overruled!

AlexVestin

Post by AlexVestin » 18 Nov 2017, 22:45

I still would not call it bad. It's rather normal for launches like this to overload servers and the like.

Nobody is really losing anything. They still get their credits, premium time, skins and all else they paid for.

AlexTaldren
True Believer

Post by AlexTaldren » 18 Nov 2017, 22:52

Zathurus wrote:
AlexTaldren wrote: When you buy something and want it in exchange for your money, that means you are entitled to it.

"You are entitled to have what I say you have" - Monarchy system

You presume the current state of existence has a rule set and a legal systems. (For instance in the USA the law system currently is not in effect)

Most systems are actually closer to monarchy and only talk about laws to keep the peasants in line, although no need to give examples, the idea that some law entitles you to something, only matters if the systems in place enforce those agreements.

Feudal systems, and unfortunately most current systems only recognize what you can take as rule of law (because I can rule set).

Although I am entitled to be paid, but that is not about this game, but since you are delving into meaning of words, you need to also think about the systems those words operate in.

Or...
Look at the title.
And
You are overruled!

No, I make no presumption regarding the current legal system. What I'm stating is a philosophical and moral truth. I don't care about the legal definition of "entitlement."

Just because kings, priests, gods, mystics, or politicians attempt to warp reality or bend it to suit their needs is irrelevant. A is A. There is an objective reality to these things. What I earn is mine by the virtue of the fact that I earned it.

People here entered into a voluntary exchange with the publishers of this game. My point is that the OP is making the claim that their money and voluntary action is meaningless. That is incorrect. They are entitled to receive the product they purchased--or a refund. It's just that simple.

Uther
Beta Tester

Post by Uther » 18 Nov 2017, 23:02

Spoken like a true fanboy and someone who is new to the direction the video game industry is gravitating. People have good reason to be outraged. This game has been in development for years, it's not like this couldn't have been avoided. You know that beta is just a trend and a safety net label that many developers are using now as an excuse should their game utterly flop. Next time use your brain before posting such stupidity and making yourself look like a fool.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 18 Nov 2017, 23:47

Uther wrote:Spoken like a true fanboy and someone who is new to the direction the video game industry is gravitating. People have good reason to be outraged. This game has been in development for years, it's not like this couldn't have been avoided. You know that beta is just a trend and a safety net label that many developers are using now as an excuse should their game utterly flop. Next time use your brain before posting such stupidity and making yourself look like a fool.

Your arguing about entitlement around the topic of a video game... A topic that except for a few people, really is not a huge issue.

And you are both doing that on systems of information that travel across the world through many different systems and devices almost all anonymous and unseen, as the game communication also does.

The very act of using such tech for anything other then foolishness...
would be foolish.

Therefore, to comment on such a game is wise

AlexVestin

Post by AlexVestin » 19 Nov 2017, 02:03

Okay, I might just have to quote you on several things here. You seem to need it.

Uther wrote:Spoken like a true fanboy and someone who is new to the direction the video game industry is gravitating.

I know what you are reffering to, and it's for AAA titles, big developers, largest game companies. Not indie devs like these devs here.

Uther wrote:People have good reason to be outraged. This game has been in development for years, it's not like this couldn't have been avoided.

All game are under development for years. Even from big companies. Yet, the games released often have a certain feel of unfinished that ins't going to go away. Those games are released and finished in the eyes of the company. This one on the other hand, should be obvious of being a true unfinished game, with several years of development still to come.

Uther wrote:You know that beta is just a trend and a safety net label that many developers are using now as an excuse should their game utterly flop.

The thing about that. It's often larger companies here too, using the BETA tag on stuff, when it's obviously just a demo quick demo before the game is released. Never would sane people show a true beta 2 weeks before launch.

Uther wrote:Next time use your brain before posting such stupidity and making yourself look like a fool.

You are actually wrong on all your assumptions this time. This is no big game company. No AAA title. Not close to thousand employees. I've seen no trace of huge money spent on marketing. You should try to look around and see what kind of forum you're posting in.

Zathurus
Alpha Tester

Post by Zathurus » 19 Nov 2017, 02:27

Greasegunner wrote:https://imgur.com/KWuFOzQ

Nice castle you got there.

American Dream?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DumlIIHSrsQ

I just want those developers to get through this stressful time, and want there project to be successful, because unlike your photo, it is a nice dream, and better then most.

Uther
Beta Tester

Post by Uther » 19 Nov 2017, 04:31

AlexVestin wrote:Okay, I might just have to quote you on several things here. You seem to need it.

Uther wrote:Spoken like a true fanboy and someone who is new to the direction the video game industry is gravitating.

I know what you are reffering to, and it's for AAA titles, big developers, largest game companies. Not indie devs like these devs here.

So because it's an indie company you can't be a fanboy?

AlexVestin wrote:
Uther wrote:People have good reason to be outraged. This game has been in development for years, it's not like this couldn't have been avoided.

All game are under development for years. Even from big companies. Yet, the games released often have a certain feel of unfinished that ins't going to go away. Those games are released and finished in the eyes of the company. This one on the other hand, should be obvious of being a true unfinished game, with several years of development still to come.

Several years of development still to come but has already had several years of development to prepare for this shitstorm of a launch.

AlexVestin wrote:
Uther wrote:You know that beta is just a trend and a safety net label that many developers are using now as an excuse should their game utterly flop.

The thing about that. It's often larger companies here too, using the BETA tag on stuff, when it's obviously just a demo quick demo before the game is released. Never would sane people show a true beta 2 weeks before launch.

This shit is a true beta.

AlexVestin wrote:
Uther wrote:Next time use your brain before posting such stupidity and making yourself look like a fool.

You are actually wrong on all your assumptions this time. This is no big game company. No AAA title. Not close to thousand employees. I've seen no trace of huge money spent on marketing. You should try to look around and see what kind of forum you're posting in.

You act as if they didn't have years to prepare and try to prevent as bad of a launch as it has been. Get your head out of where the sun doesn't shine, stop the hardcore white knighting and brown-nosing, and don't bother replying because I won't be reading it.

Return to General Discussion