Life is Feudal: MMO Competitive Series

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

What do you think about our idea (including the P.S. part)?

I consider myself as a wolf and I like it
21%
I consider myself as a sheep and I like it
9%
I consider myself as a wolf and I think this idea needs some changes
12%
I consider myself as a sheep and I think this idea needs some changes
5%
I consider myself as a wolf and I don't think this idea can ever work
43%
I consider myself as a sheep and I don't think this idea can ever work
9%

Total votes : 383

Arrakis

Re: Life is Feudal: MMO Competitive Series

Post by Arrakis » 18 Apr 2018, 23:42

HolyAvengerOne wrote:
Jpmarquesc25 wrote:326 of about 2000 players...
are you sure you post and make publi about this enormus changes?
it didn't reach all players(testers) there are changes that concerns 2 eu servers around 700 each and only vote 326? there are some serious problem of transparency and news publi marketing...

No, they didn't. It was never posted on Discord.

Do everyone a favor : share massively.

I am sorry, but we did post it on discord. The problem is, a lot of people just don't check notifications even when we mention @everyone. It feels like even less actually care to take part in the polls such as this, which saddens us a lot :( We very much want all our players to express their opinions on such important matters, but we obviously can't force anyone to do so.

TheBruce

Post by TheBruce » 19 Apr 2018, 00:44

People don't care anymore cause you have abused of their patience and joked them for too long... what is sown is gathered.

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 19 Apr 2018, 01:30

Arrakis wrote:
HolyAvengerOne wrote:
it didn't reach all players(testers) there are changes that concerns 2 eu servers around 700 each and only vote 326? there are some serious problem of transparency and news publi marketing...

I am sorry, but we did post it on discord. The problem is, a lot of people just don't check notifications even when we mention @everyone. It feels like even less actually care to take part in the polls such as this, which saddens us a lot :( We very much want all our players to express their opinions on such important matters, but we obviously can't force anyone to do so.

As you know I'm rather active on Discord, but then it happens that I missed stuff. So when I read your post, I went back and checked #notifications, back to April 13th and I still can't see it :

Maybe there's some issue, or maybe it was accidentally deleted?

That being said, my main problem here is that you guys seems to be listening TOO MUCH to players, if anything. I told that to Bobik on the last Buyan AMA. And that's because :

1) What gameplay a player thinks they will enjoy and what gameplay a player actually will enjoy are two very different things (see game theory on meta-gaming).

2) Changes brought by players feedback were made on the basis of a very narrow number of people which, I posit, do not actually represent the core of the gamers.

3) Bitbox had a beautiful vision of a sandbox world which it sold us, and that vision is getting denatured as its pulled in too many directions as a result of listening to too many different voices.

4) Don't forget the majority of your potential player base will never interact on a forum, and those that will have are within a specific range of player types (and thus bias).

What I would strongly recommend that you guys do is take pause, re-center on what your core values/vision is and then plan your roadmap and move ahead from there.

Doing so, you will display a stronger direction; enhance and strengthen your core gameplay loops and refine your existing space before you move into something else and become too scattered.

You can listen to players, have a discussion with players, but never ever do what they ask you. That'd kill your game.

Please, consider this.
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)

TheBruce

Post by TheBruce » 19 Apr 2018, 12:12

Holy you have to admit that a lot of the changes playerbase asks for are only the promises the devs made at the game launch... one server with 10k, sieges, full pvp, economy player-driven, it's all on the game homepage.

Muh

Post by Muh » 19 Apr 2018, 12:56

The idea there is nothing new, there is actually a Game in development which is fully based around that idea.

Given, some people might say that LiF lacks proper world PvP, which is actually true... but in the end full world PvP WILL lead to a winner and a dead server/game.... server stagnation.

I don't want to make an advertisement for another game here, so I simply copy/paste their view on 2 worlds (campaign and persisting)

To illustrate this point, let me use an analogy. Every Thanksgiving, my family gets together for a game of RISK. Only it’s not “let’s play Risk every thanksgiving” – it’s “let’s pick up from where we left last year, in the SAME game of Risk.”

The same game. The same conflict. Year after year after year:

Imagine that, in year 2, Uncle Bob starts winning.

In year 3, Uncle Bob presses the advantage. By the end of this game session, Bob basically owns the board.

Fast forward 10 years. We’re still playing that same game. Uncle Bob is now an unassailable tyrant.

The other players (i.e. everyone other than Uncle Bob) all wander away from the board to watch football or something – because they know they don’t stand a chance. If a new player joins the game, Bob snuffs them out in their infancy, and they quit immediately.

Everyone is bored. Even Uncle Bob is bored – because he hasn’t faced a challenge in over a decade. But he won’t give up by choice. That isn’t human nature.

In XXX, I called this phenomenon server stagnation. The game is incredibly fun – right up until someone wins. Then, without a server reset, the game stagnates and everyone quits.

TL;DR version:

One of the key elements of strategy games is they have a win condition followed by a board reset. You start the game, you play the game, someone wins. You reset the board and start a new game.

One of the key elements of MMOs is that they are persistent. Actually, that’s not the right word, is it? They’re permanent. Players expect to play them over years, and the game world is (generally) static.

These two design goals seem diametrically opposed: the game must reset and the game must last forever.

The general gist was, that you transfer YOUR character to a campaign world and fight there. From time to time you can export ressources from that campaign world, or import ressources from the persisting world. That way each guild can choose how much ressources they want to put into the game.

Yet the keyfactor there was, that the persisting world was not really important and just shows all triumps you achieved in the campaign, the persisting world also didn't provide you with all ressources you needed. All that doesn't really fit to Life is Feudal.

If you fully comit to the 2 server idea as well, the persisting world will not be very important anymore, you will probably see an even higher drop of players on that world and most players will stick with the campaign world. This might upset some people, especially the ones who build up a huge castle in the persisting world... for nothing.

Furthermore, crafting and building in the new world should NOT take as long as it does in the persisting world, I would even say that the character you put into the campaign world should be the same, with the same skillset, which you use in the persisting world. I question the skill loss though and think a longer lasting ressurrection sickness might work better for the campaign worlds and to promote more PvP.

Uxtalzon

Post by Uxtalzon » 19 Apr 2018, 13:48

HolyAvengerOne wrote:As you know I'm rather active on Discord, but then it happens that I missed stuff. So when I read your post, I went back and checked #notifications, back to April 13th and I still can't see it :

Maybe there's some issue, or maybe it was accidentally deleted?

In your pic, Development News #99 is there it's shortly described and links to the poll, but mentioned directly from Discord to the poll, no it wasn't.

The poll also sort of shoehorns into wolves and sheep and 2-3 monthly wipes would stop a good number of players from voting as well.

Morvran

Post by Morvran » 20 Apr 2018, 05:08

I don't like this fast food style pvp server. Because life is not feudal in this at all.

Monco

Post by Monco » 20 Apr 2018, 14:46

Muh wrote:The idea there is nothing new, there is actually a Game in development which is fully based around that idea.

Given, some people might say that LiF lacks proper world PvP, which is actually true... but in the end full world PvP WILL lead to a winner and a dead server/game.... server stagnation.

That is literally what the game is about, to allow someone to win someone else HAS TO lose, or you're stuck with the current situation which doesn't allow anyone to properly win or lose so pretty much everyone ends up quitting after the building phase due to the big lack of content.
You're speaking about dead server/game due to a faction winning and another one losing but the situation gets even worse when noone can really do anything, that's when the game gets stagnant and servers feel empty and that's unfortunately the current state of the game, "current" not so anymore because we're stuck in this nonsense since january when pretty much most guilds finished the building phase.
Just look at the population of Avalon for exemple, from 3k peak in january to 800-1k peak nowadays.

TheBruce

Post by TheBruce » 20 Apr 2018, 16:01

Life is feudal is not Risk, people can migrate into a bigger guild, create coalitions, build in spots where it's really hard to fight and siege. To me the point is how long it takes to create something, if you need one full month to raise up a castle and then you can lose it in just one JH then people will quit, we all agree on this i think. But, if building demanded a lot less time, in term of terraforming-resources-random charging bar, people would try go get a revenge, would ally with other guilds and wage war together. If you can reclaim what you lost or you can rebuild better and raze enemies than you have a continuosly shaping world were border changes jh after jh, war after war. And it's almost impossible to have an uncle who claim 49 servers, cause he will need a lot of nephews to control all that land.

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 21 Apr 2018, 02:48

Uxtalzon wrote:In your pic, Development News #99 is there it's shortly described and links to the poll, but mentioned directly from Discord to the poll, no it wasn't.

The poll also sort of shoehorns into wolves and sheep and 2-3 monthly wipes would stop a good number of players from voting as well.

Ahh good catch, my bad. The news are usually so devoid of actual.. news? Have they even acknowledged that the chat was fixed? Lol!

Well, now we're ast 51% of : "we don't want another darn new ruleset/game mode like this" `

Please. let's refocus on the core sandbox thing.

:evil:
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)

Rammy

Post by Rammy » 22 Apr 2018, 05:59

Adding another rule set server, or more servers in general will totaly kill the game at this point. We started with around 4K players online on avalon (the only EU server at that time) and now all EU servers together barely reach 2K on primetime. The situation is pretty much the same with US servers. Adding more servers or game modes will scatter the dwindling population and leave us with less than 500 players per server.
I would really suggest focusing on fixing the tech issues and bugs that LIF has in abundance and that seem to get worse after every patch. Second step will be implementing the siege system that is way overdue (should have been implemented 2-3 months ago so that ppl wouldn't lose interest in the game). Stick to the original plan of a "living and breathing world with history written by the players", get all the planned features done and make it work properly instead of opening servers as a lag problem solution and adding new rulesets that might get few hudnred ppl to spend few extra bucks on new chars but will drive the majority of the remaining players from the game for good.
In conclusion the game had and still has huge potential, will be a shame to barry it due to poor bug fixing and trying to take the game to different directions at the same time without reaching any of them really.

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 22 Apr 2018, 14:11

Arrakis wrote:
HolyAvengerOne wrote:

TLDR; for my last post : no you didn't, it was in the middle of the dev news notes #99 and I missed it, my bad. But you still didn't post it on Discord :Yahoo!: :lol:

Edit : we're at 52% now!!

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 22 Apr 2018, 16:29

Please vote in this poll to end all polls : should-the-developers-stop-doing-polls-and-go-back-to-t39361/

Thanks!

Khaos8184

Post by Khaos8184 » 23 Apr 2018, 01:38

I cant in all honesty cast my vote because i dont think of myself as a Wolf or a sheep but i dont like the idea of a mmo competitive servers

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 24 Apr 2018, 03:54

Well, doesn't look like it moved much today, still 52% completely against and a total of 71% at least in part against it.

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 25 Apr 2018, 01:19

So, Bitbox, until when is this gonna run, and when can we expect to hear about your decision following that?

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 25 Apr 2018, 22:40

HolyAvengerOne wrote:So, Bitbox, until when is this gonna run, and when can we expect to hear about your decision following that?

This poll will remain open until we announce the contents of the May patch.

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 27 Apr 2018, 01:35

Arrakis wrote:
HolyAvengerOne wrote:So, Bitbox, until when is this gonna run, and when can we expect to hear about your decision following that?

This poll will remain open until we announce the contents of the May patch.

Fair enough, thanks for the answer! And do you have an ETA on that?

Krlitozglz

Post by Krlitozglz » 30 Apr 2018, 22:36

What kind of idea is this?!?!? You don't have the numbers in the game and you are planning on splitting the population even more than you already have?!?!?!

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 03 May 2018, 00:56

For the devs (and other interested parties). A short, interesting article that may trigger some reflection, re: the topic of this thread : http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/01/state ... mined-out/

Rodrigoaleixo10

Post by Rodrigoaleixo10 » 22 May 2018, 12:12

Bobik, do not create another realm just for this, implement inside the MMO a system that includes PVP arenas for enlist to the entire realm, people can join as team, solo, etc to battle, joust and compete.
EDIT
Please do not split even more since player base is low!
The system could integrate others realms inside same regions.

Return to General Discussion